Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.6:2007 Section 4.8.3 Welder Qualification
- - By rickc (**) Date 05-05-2009 17:07
From D1.6:2007 Section 4.8 Limitation of Variables for Welder Performance Qualification:
"4.8.3 Electrode and Shielding Medium. A welder qualified with an approved electrode and shielding medium combination shall be considered qualified to weld with the same electrode F-number as classified in Table 4.5, and shielding medium combination for the process used in the qualification test."

Is shielding medium the same as shielding gas? For example, I have a welder qualification record in front of me where the welder did a GMAW fillet T-plate test with an F6 electrode and 98% Argon / 2% CO2 shielding gas. Is the welder only qualified to weld with this specific shielding gas?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-18-2009 11:53
I don't believe the shielding gas or mixture of gases is an essential variable for welder performance qualification. As such, the welder qualified with any gas shielding is qualified for all gases appropriate for the process.

I believe the intent is that if a prequalified WPS or a qualified WPS is used, the shielding gas is an essential variable for the WPS, not performance qualification.

That being said and with over twenty years in the field as a CWI/SCWI, I would not be surprised at anything. The combinations of gases I've seen folks attempt to use with their prequalified WPS would raise the hair on the back of your neck. I have some renewed hope that some of the problems can be mitigated with the inclusions of clause 3.7.4 in the new 2008 edition of AWS D1.1.

Best regards - Al 
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.6:2007 Section 4.8.3 Welder Qualification