Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Few questions about Pipeliners Union 798
- - By cwf07 (***) Date 05-09-2009 00:31 Edited 05-09-2009 00:36
Well first I know nothing about the 798. I am from Ga. their is not much pipe work here. I don't know any body that is in the 798 so its hard to find out anything. I call the Pipeliners Union 798 the other day and the lady was real nice but was to busy to answer any questions, got my address and sent me and application to fill out but I don't want to waste their time or my time if the union is not right for me. I have been rig welding since 1996. I have been doing both pipe & structal. I got a few question about the union.
1. Is thier more union or nonunion pipe jobs?
2. If you are in the union and they don't have work for you do they fine you or kick you out of the union if you work for a nonunion company doing the same work?
3. What is the pay for a union rig welder?
4. If you are new to the union will you be the last one to get work or is there enough work that everybody gets a piece?
5. I was told it cost 2,000 dollars to join the union if they accept you do they make you pay it up front or do they let you pay it a little bit at a time.
6. What is the good things and bad thing about the union?
7. What test do they give you at the Pipeliners Union 798 in Tulsa?
8. Is it 6010 all the way or 6010 root & hot pass and 7010 or 8010 fill & cap?
9. Do they have the pipe or do you have to bring it?
10. Does it matter if you are welding with a Lincoln or a Miller?
Attachment: IMG_0846.JPG (737k)
Attachment: IMG_0845.JPG (799k)
Parent - - By ctdconstruction (*) Date 05-10-2009 13:56 Edited 05-11-2009 11:41
1. That's a hard one - but we (798) have plenty of work - the advantage is our wages & benefits aren't being cut so a contractor can get a bid.
2. YES - if you work NON-UNION you WILL be FINED! - There is no need to - we have the work.
3. $102.50 per diem, $15 rig, & $44.19 for the arm - union gets 3% - but you get health insurance and retirement benefits and option to pay into 401K.
4. Again - there seems to be enough work right now - maybe a wait on the wheel at first but things are picking up.
5. $250 to test - if you pass it goes toward your fees. Welder applicants will be required to pay $1200.00 at the time of their initiation. The remaining $800.00 will be paid in 5 equal monthly installments
6. As a 798 member - I don't see anything bad about the union.
7. 24" .500 Wall, puddle cap
8. 6010 bead - 8010 the rest of the way out
9. they have everything -
10. Doesn't matter - seen more guys buying new millers lately than Lincoln - Miller even has a tote the note program - you can ask at the hall.
Good luck - hope to see you on the ROW - we need you!!!
www.local798.org for your application.
Parent - - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 05-10-2009 22:06
Now I called and got my app in. But they asked if I had 5 years of downhill welding exp. I told them no, and the lady said well it might not work but we can still send you a app. But sence I dont have the exp, but can Still pass the test. Do they even let you test or wait till I have those 5 yrs exp?
Parent - By Shooter71 (**) Date 05-11-2009 04:28
Good question, I was wondering the same thing.
Parent - - By cwf07 (***) Date 05-10-2009 23:06
Thanks everybody for the replies they help out alot. I posted some pictures of my rig I was wondering if the rig I got would give me problems get around some of the pipe jobs, I do a lot of bridge construction and some of the jobs I have to be pulled in and out if they don't have time to cut a road.My truck wieght is 17,500 to18,000lbs.The few small pipe line jobs I worked around here I didn't have any problems I know companies are different some make it easy and some make it hard.
Parent - By tighand430 (***) Date 05-12-2009 00:27
I'd drop the compressor, most the boxes an whatever else you can do without. If you need a compressor, the contractor will furnish. All they require is a water cooled machine (SA200, Pipe Pro, Vantage, etc.), 100' of lead an ground, bottle rack, and torch an gauges with hose. Per the contract, the contractor is supposed to furnish all else but everybody usually brings their own grinders an such. You want your rig as light as you can but still have all you need. I'm puttin a few pics of mine up to to kinda get an idea of what most people have on their rig, cept mine's a bathtub rig. Hopin to get a bed later this year.
Attachment: rig2.JPG (203k)
Attachment: rig8.JPG (209k)
Attachment: rig1.JPG (166k)
Attachment: rig3.JPG (177k)
Attachment: rig7.JPG (203k)
Parent - - By cwf07 (***) Date 05-10-2009 23:15
Do you have to provide worker comp.& general liability & do you pay the 3% weekly or monthly.
Parent - By ctdconstruction (*) Date 05-11-2009 11:37
You just have to have insurance on your truck - 3% comes out of your check - weekly.
Parent - By tighand430 (***) Date 05-10-2009 14:20
Another thing to remember is that if the pipeline work is slow, they can get you out on a building trades job if you wanna work. It's not the pay that you get as a rig welder but it is union an pays the bills. Hopin to get out as a traveler on one of the lines in Minnesota this summer after I get back from this job I'm headed to today.
Parent - - By FieldHand80 (*) Date 05-10-2009 15:04
My grandpa work for 798 for as long as I can remember, he was there dispatcher there for freakin years, that would be my first choice if I wanted to go union, or you could go boilermakers union, either way.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-10-2009 16:47
I assume even if you pass a welding test for 798 you still will be tested at each new pipeline you start at correct??
Parent - - By ruero (**) Date 05-10-2009 16:49
that is correct
Parent - - By Martin G (**) Date 05-10-2009 19:24
hey i also have got a question about that i have allways worked non-union as a combo-welder and tube welder in power cemical refinery industrys if i were to join 798 would i be fined for working as a combo/tube welder in the winter or when its slow or would this be looked at as working out of my trade for a pipeliner
Parent - - By mechan (**) Date 05-10-2009 22:29
If you join the United Association you should not be working any non-union mechanical or service jobs that would fall under the jurisdiction of your local or the United Association as a whole. Working non-union structural steel, boiler piping not past the first connection, and other building trades positions are all examples of jobs that are not exactly against the "rules", but depending on your local you could create some pretty hard feelings and end up effecting your job opportunities in the future (justly so). If you are making the decision to join a union regardless of the trade you are choosing to be a part of organized labor and as such working a non-union position is essentially taking the food off the plate of one of your brothers in another union. In my personal opinion if you want to work non-union and not follow the concept of trade jurisdiction then stay non-union. That being said there are often times when the pipers will be slow for work, but the iron workers may be booming and taking on permit hands to man their jobs, so there are other opportunities than just burning rod on a pipeline or in a paper mill.
Parent - - By Martin G (**) Date 05-11-2009 00:40
so would you be able to work out pipefitters and boilermakers union with only a book in 798 or would i have to hold 3 and pay dues out of 3 unions i have learned how to weld in diffrent feilds to keep myself working i just dont want to limit myself buy getting to pipeline but the more i know the longer i will stay working
Parent - By Roadtrash (*) Date 05-11-2009 00:49
798 is a member of the UA. All you would need to go to work as a pipefitter is a travel card. You can have a book in the Boilermakers if you want but it may not be necessary. If the Boilermakers are looking for people to man a job you can go out as a permit hand for them.
Parent - - By mechan (**) Date 05-11-2009 01:02
The U.A. comprises steamfitters, pipefitters, pipeliners, service techs, and other pipe trades, so working as a traveler for another U.A. local you would be working under the same book paying dues to your local, (the $35 a month or whatever they are charging out of 798), and the 3% per pay period to the local you are working as a traveler for. You also end up paying into the annuity for certain local's i.e. sprinkler fitters, and that can sort of suck because they never seem to get things right and you end up losing your money! The boilermakers are pretty good to work permit for because once you finish up your job for them and don't go back to work for them as a permit hand for x amount of years they will cut you a check for the money you have invested in their retirement fund. If you end up working for the boilermakers, iron workers, or carpenters, (whooo hoo steel studs!), then you would be working as a permit hand and still you would pay your dues to your local and whatever the percentage the local your working for as a permit hand takes. There is more to the pipe trades than just the pipeline, so if your experience was comprised mostly around working in paper mills, power houses, chem plants or other typical maintenance projects it may be a better fit to join one of the other locals. That being said a traditional fitter's local you don't supply your own tools other than what is in the contract which is usually something like a 25' tape measure and a torpedo level, so rolling up with your rig truck would be semi awkward, haha. The unions aren't a bad way to earn a living and a lot of the guys you work around are alright, however; as with any other facet of construction there can be a lot of down time and jackasses. The only difference for the jobs on the union side of the house is you are receiving your referrals through the union hall, so when you get the red ass and want to drag up you could end up putting your self on the other end of a slow moving bench.
Parent - - By Martin G (**) Date 05-11-2009 01:23
ya im bad about dragin too mostly on hours when the over time over im usually out the gate (ie yesterday so im heading to WY to weld tubes tomorrow) if im running the truck in a plant i might stay becuse the money still good but most of the rig work has dryed up in plants at  least for now  pipe fitters union only hires single hand?  thanks for the info i gess i need to think about it for a while
Parent - By tighand430 (***) Date 05-12-2009 00:19
The building trade locals are usually only single hand but sometimes there are calls for rig welders but not that often. Just depends on the contractor and location. An I know what you mean, I drag when the time gets below 60 usually but I can usually go from one job to another without much problem.
Parent - By FieldHand80 (*) Date 05-11-2009 19:43
i dunno....I just do the power plants and refineries, papermills etc.....I dont do pipelines.
Parent - By FieldHand80 (*) Date 05-11-2009 19:43
yes
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Few questions about Pipeliners Union 798