Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 3 Kentucky Welders Killed In Arkansas
- - By Jssec (**) Date 05-13-2009 18:37
http://www.kentucky.com/181/story/793487.html

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Three men killed when an empty gasoline storage tank they were working on exploded in north Arkansas likely died from the impact of the blast, a coroner said Wednesday. The workers were preparing to install a new gauge on the tank at a TEPPCO Partners LP facility when the blast occurred Tuesday, said Rick Rainey, a spokesman for the Houston-based energy storage company. The tank previously had been drained of fuel and cleaned, Rainey said. It was not immediately clear whether the workers were inside or outside of the tank at the time of the explosion, he said. The cause of the blast wasn't immediately clear, White County Coroner David Powell said. The bodies of the three men were discovered outside of the crumpled storage tank and bore no signs of being burned, Powell said. "It was an explosion," he said. "The injuries were simply caused from the concussion of the explosion." All three men worked for C&C Welding of Elizabethtown, Ky. Powell identified the dead as William Decker, 48, of Scottsburg, Ind.; Roy Mathis, 60, of Wheatfield, Ind.; and Stoney Powell, 45, also of Wheatfield. The TEPPCO facility stores diesel and unleaded gasoline for clients, Rainey said. The facility has five tanks with a total capacity of 250,000 barrels, he said.The explosion came as a series of thunderstorms rolled through Arkansas. The National Weather Service at North Little Rock recorded no instances of lightning in the area at the time of the explosion, forecaster Chuck Rickard said.
Parent - - By rigwelder8201 (*) Date 05-13-2009 18:46
May god watch over them and their familys in this hard time. My heart goes out to them.
Parent - By argoncowboy (**) Date 05-13-2009 22:55 Edited 05-13-2009 22:59
Well put rigwelder. Have they determined what the cause of the accident was. We all have an idea of how dangerous our jobs are but if you are like me, you have done the same tasks over and over again that you are subject to become complacent. I truely hate this for there family
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-14-2009 01:49
I worked with Roy Mathis a few years ago. Really sad.
The story about William Decker really tore me up. We leave and are gone for weeks at a time and then your family never gets to see you alive again.
My heart goes out to those guys families.
BABRT's
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-14-2009 19:08
Wouldn't have hurt this to have been posted in 'Safety' (maybe it is and I just haven't been there yet).

At anyrate, our prayers are with the families, friends, and co-workers of these men.  May God give them all the strength they need to get them through this time.

I know others of you have lost family as well, having lost a two year old grandson to a tragic accident last fall, I know there are many of us who can truly relate to the loss felt.  Prayer is the least (and in many ways the most important) that we can do.

Brent
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-30-2009 03:32
Sorry to hear this news.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 3 Kentucky Welders Killed In Arkansas