Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Putting a lift in a welding rig
- - By gotpipe597 (**) Date 05-13-2009 22:22
I have a 01 f350 dually and would like to put bigger tires under it. I am running 235/85 r16. I know that you don't want your dually tires to touch. has anyone use spacers with the amount of weight that we carry. Any advance would be great. Bryan K
Parent - - By rigweldmario (*) Date 05-13-2009 23:05
I have some 2'' spacers on my truck and I have my welder and equipment and pull my fifth wheel with it so thier strong.
Parent - - By texasrigwelder (**) Date 05-14-2009 00:04
got 2 half on mine
Parent - - By gotpipe597 (**) Date 05-14-2009 02:52 Edited 05-14-2009 03:03
What brand spacers do you use? What size tires?
Parent - By Johnyutah (**) Date 05-14-2009 13:00
I know this was probably a one in a million but mine shattered and I lost the drivers side duals on the freeway the only thing that saved me was the 30' gooseneck I was pulling hit the trailer brakes and kept it straight. I know that toyo makes a tall skinny tire that on one of our Dodge rig would require a leveling kit to clear but no spacers so I would say don't do it just get a taller tire.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-14-2009 13:50
I don't know about spacers but I have the dually adapters and from what I was told you would need to stay away from Aluminum, at least that is the information I gathered. I don't know what material adapters Johnyutah was running though but if his were steel and they popped I'd be leary. These trucks are just plain heavy, then can you find E-rated tires that are skinny/tall enough to fit? I don't know myself, just thought I'd throw that out there.
Parent - - By Douglas Main (*) Date 05-15-2009 04:27
I have a 99' F-350, I built the lift and had six 3.15 7.5 16's sitting in the shop. So that was all free (or so I told the mrs.) But the one thing I didnt do was go cheap on spacers. I studied and heard all the horror stories. I found this outfit over in Fontana Ca. I forget the name now but Ill find it and post it. I told this man that Im running overloads for a reason, and I am always at highway speeds. And in my region the roads are very questionable. So he assured me I wont chuck an outside rubber into traffic or the desert at 90MPH! Needless to say I bought them for around $390 for a pair, they are billet and very well made the outside studs are not just threaded studs they have splines and are pressed through the spacer, with a relief against the inside wheel. Im sure this sounds common with many spacers, but I found a few (made in china) that are that way. These are 100% made in U.S.A. and that helps everyone. The only issue is when you go somewhere to get tire work done, be ready to pull off and, replace the spacer yourself. A lot of tire shops frown on spacers. Ill dig up some info and post it A.S.A.P.

D. Main 
Parent - By texasrigwelder (**) Date 05-16-2009 02:20
that were mine from
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 05-16-2009 21:53
One thing to consider is with the DRW the wheels are HUB centric.  meaning their meant to bear the weight and force of the load onto the axle hub NOT the studs like an older conventional truck rim with tapered nuts.   

I was investigating using two ALCOA wheels side by side in the rear of my F-350 as the inner steel wheels had gotten bent twice from the heavy loads and massive pot holes that seem to be getting worse.    But I REALLY Didn't like the amount of hub engagement that the outer wheel had with the added thickness of an inner aluminum wheel.

You already have thought about  the tire rubbing being a problem which is good.  I have seen failures from the two sidewalls rubbing together going down the highway.  IT creates a substantial amount of heat in the tire which will lead to failure.

Another factor to consider is Even the E load rated mud tires are really not as tough as a commercial E rated tire.  I have seen guys pulling MASSIVE toy haulers with D load range tires and its only a matter of time before something catastrophic happens.

dollar for dollar these are the best tires for an over loaded 16" wheel that needs to operate in rough areas.   http://www.michelinman.com/tires/light-truck/xps-traction/#sizes-and-specifications
Parent - By gotpipe597 (**) Date 05-17-2009 02:56
thanks for the info. that company name would be great if you fined it
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Putting a lift in a welding rig