Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Magnesium alloys for transport
- - By Daniel (*) Date 05-14-2009 14:28
Hi all!

This is Daniel from Spain. I am thinking in magnesium alloys for a new project focused on joining technologies (FSW, LBW, RSW, Mechanical Fastening and Adhesive Bonding).

Do you think that the use of magnesium alloys for transport sector (mainly automotive) is really going to increase next years?

I think so but I have some doubts because the problem is the current high price. Maybe is a problem related to demand-offer ratio. Today the price of 1 kg of magnesium is 2,2 times 1 kg of aluminium.

It is only a reflexion but it woulb be interesting to see your opinions about that.

Thanks
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-16-2009 02:16
My Opinion: There is not enough performance gain to offset the cost difference in a "normal" automobile. Having said that, if the manufacturers and their advertisers can convince the public otherwise, You might see an increase in it's use.

Where the rubber meets the road and the payment book, it is hard to beat steel for suspension & structural components, cast iron for direct bored engine blocks & heavy duty gear cases and aluminum for less demanding housings & parts.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-16-2009 06:13
Magnesium also has several down sides other than cost.

Highly suseptable to corrosion.

Relatively low ductility.

They salt the roads in the wintertime in my region... I would not any structure made from magnesium on my auto for that reason alone.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-16-2009 13:12
...and to add to Lawrence's post:

....don't forget that once it catches fire, don't try to extinguish with water...it only gets hotter when you add water.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Magnesium alloys for transport