Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / GTAW brazing dissimilar metals
- - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 05-14-2009 15:49
Hello all,
First off let me state that any products I would make with these combinations would be purely ornamental and would have no other service requirements other than to stick together.
The other day I purchased some silicon bronze wire with the intent of making flashy little trinkets made from several different materials, mainly copper, steel and stainless steel. The store also had some aluminum bronze wire and the sales guy was nice enough to give me a few rods to play with before I went and spent any kind of money on it.

My question for you enlightened welding professionals would be; is there any way to GTAW braze aluminum to copper? Is that what the Al bronze wire is made for?
One other question while I'm at it, is there any way to braze titanium to any of the above mentioned materials?

Thank you all for your time
-Clif
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-15-2009 03:13
There are some aluminum SOLDERS that will stick aluminum to copper & brass, I am not sure what all else it will stick too. These are usually used with an air/fuel or oxy/fuel torch.
Parent - - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 05-17-2009 15:50
Dave,
Any idea of a brand name that I could ask the welding store to order for me?
Thank you
Clif
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-18-2009 05:18
I havn't tried it but I think All-State Rubbon 55 or any of the zink base aluminum solders like You get at the farm store, or see at car shows & flea markets should work. They are called "Low temperature aluminum repair rods, Dura Fix 3 in 1, etc.]

If You ask at the weldind supply they might have a filler specificly for this. Also try a HVAC distributer or a plumbing supply that carries HVAC stuff.
Parent - - By labib (*) Date 05-25-2009 11:29
Yes you can join by soldring virtually all white metals including zinc die-cast, aluminium, copper,brass, pewter, steel,even stainless steel or bronz together by applying MAGNA 51 which has an ultra low application temp. of 179 degree-368F.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-26-2009 01:46
The rod You mention "Magna 51" melts much lower than the ones I mentioned. What is in it?  &  what are the mechanical properties?
Parent - - By labib (*) Date 05-26-2009 14:28
Tensile strenth of MAGNA 51 is 17000 PSI
joins dissimilar combinations of metal-M51 is the first practical "solder" alloy for joining aluminium with a soldring iron, for such applications as roof guttering, flashings and vent ducts. Most solders cannot be successfully applied to aluminum with a soldring iron. It joins virtually all metals including aluminium and titanium. It will bond steel to aluminium or copper to magnesium or almost any combination. When MAGNA 51 alloy is used with MAGNA 51 Flux. Perfect, high strength of the base metal are formed. MAGNA 51 Flux is non-corrosive and will not damage aluminium parts.
SIZE AVAILABLE: 13.7 mm
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-26-2009 15:13
plasma,

Shhh...don't tell anyone, but silicon bronze is one my "secrets" in the artistry venue. Discovered it a while back when doing bronze sculpturing. GTAW and GMAW (the .035 mig is great trinket wire for tig jewelry apps.) It will bond to most anything including aluminum. I have even stuck aluminum pivot sprinkler pipe together with it (mig).. Repaired chrome plated shelving, shopping carts etc.
It is like brazing without the flux and associated clean-up excess heat discoloration, softer more ductile than most common brasses. Only thing to be wary of is low heat input if using on chrome/stainless. Hot Short Cracking between the Cu and CR.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 05-26-2009 15:22 Edited 05-26-2009 17:16
If you really want to see dissimilar metals at their finest, research MOKUME.

just for starters, check out this fellas stuff..

http://www.faceters.com/askjeff/mokume.shtml
Parent - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 05-26-2009 17:44 Edited 05-26-2009 17:50
"Only thing to be wary of is low heat input if using on chrome/stainless. Hot Short Cracking between the Cu and CR. "
Yeah, I found that one out the hard way... I've never seen metal rip like that as it cooled before, it was fun to watch. Not very useful for what i was trying to do though...

Good to know about its Alum. uses. Thank you the  "secrets"  safe with me :)

*Edit* Wow, that MOKUME work is some amazing stuff! ill have to toy around with that some time.
Parent - By Derek Davies Date 06-07-2009 14:50
Have a look at www.flamebrazing.com
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / GTAW brazing dissimilar metals