Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Making a resume questions...
- - By nitwhit0921 (*) Date 05-18-2009 17:07
Im gettin ready to graduate this week so Im starting to look for a job.  I was wanting to join 798 as a welder's helper but they arent looking at applications right now and I was told it's backed up from Sept 08.  I need something temporary until I can get on with them. 

Im making myself a resume to give with my applications and I was wondering what all I need on it.  What can I put on it that would set me out from the other guy?  So far I have my objective/education/skills/certifications. 

I am certified by the state of wv on pipe with SMAW and GMAW.  Do I need to just put that or put it was tested to d1.1 and what all it covers(I really have no clue it was 4" sched 80)

Any help would be great or if someone could post one of theirs on here for me to base mine off of would be great too. 
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-18-2009 20:50
A word of advice from an oldtimer: resumes should be one and a half pages long at the most, especially from a recently graduate like you. In this way, it can be read in, say, one or two minutes. Nobody has time to spend half an hour analyzing a resumé that looks like a book.
So, be concise and compress all relevant information in few words.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil  
Parent - - By Mat (***) Date 05-18-2009 21:12 Edited 05-18-2009 21:17
if you have an e-mail address, I can send you a copy of mine to give you a base to work off of.  The format for it I got from the local TRADE's building in town here; it's a welding oriented one.

...I see you do have one!  Check your e-mail inbox.
Parent - By nitwhit0921 (*) Date 05-19-2009 02:30 Edited 05-19-2009 02:41
As of now it is right at one page.  The only thing that I know I need on it is to finish my schooling/education.

Thanks Mat that actually helped a lot. 
Parent - By rlitman (***) Date 05-22-2009 14:37
I don't work in the welding field, but that's good advice all around.
Keep it straight to the point, and ideally, just enough to fill one page.

If you want to tell your life's story, keep that in a "cover letter" (again, one page max), and if one page isn't enough for your complete resume, try this:
cut out your references, and put them separately on a half sheet.  Then just have the line "references provided on request", or something of that nature at the bottom of your resume.

Oh, and a misspelling is pretty much guaranteed to get your resume tossed.  That's just the way it is, so have someone go over it with you.
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 05-19-2009 03:29
Constructive advice: Learn how to spell properly, and use correct sentence structure. Your resume' may be your first introduction to an employer. Make your first impression, your best!
Parent - By wiskybuck (*) Date 05-22-2009 13:19
You don't need to be detailed to much.
Bullet point your strong assets and any strong reviews from your instructor. Make sure he is one of your references.

Good luck
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Making a resume questions...