Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Oxyacetylene Tank Safety
- - By HNirider Date 05-19-2009 00:55
All,

I'm a hobby welder (stick) but am about to get a hand-me-down gas setup.

I've got to pick the tanks up in New Orleans and drive them home to Houston.

Is it safe to lay the tanks down in the back of my truck?

Any tips on how to safely get this done would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hank
Parent - By tazmannusa (**) Date 05-19-2009 01:36
No problem just make sure caps are on and they are secured , just stand the acetylene bottle upright for a while before you use it
Tom
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 05-19-2009 03:52
yes remeber the caps and lay the caps facting the cab of the truck just in case something happens and a cap and valve get knocked off the shoot thru the tail gate and not the cab of the truck
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-19-2009 11:46
Check with your welding supplier to see if they will refill tanks they do not own. Most suppliers will not handle someone else's tanks for liability and legal reasons. The trip to pick up the tanks may be a waste of time and gasoline unless there are other reasons to justify the trip.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Jssec (**) Date 05-19-2009 11:59
All tanks must have a pressure test date stamped on the head check near the cap ring for a date I think it is every five years. If the tanks are out of date they can not be filled and you must pay for the testing. As stated above most companies will not fill or test tanks they don't own or sell.
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 05-19-2009 15:56
vertical. you dont want to kill the person driving behind you either.
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 05-19-2009 12:35
Best practice is to transport cylinders upright and secured.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-19-2009 13:57
Nice visual!! :-)
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 05-19-2009 20:09
If DOT has seen that one on a highway.....   :) 
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-19-2009 15:04
HNirider,

When we came to AZ from OR a few years ago I brought about 6 tanks with me.  All were owner tanks.  No name on the ring around the neck.  It was no problem at all to have my new local supply take them and fill them.  They rotated them so I did not necessarily get the same ones back.  All mine had good dates for having been recently tested so there were no issues there.

I recently changed suppliers here in AZ and was told the same thing.  As long as they are current and are owner tanks with no other company name on them and only identified with stickers as to who had supplied them and what the mixture was, it is an easy switch to a different supplier regardless of state lines.

Also, as witnessed by the picture by Northweldor (Great Pic), it is not the properly recommended nor safest method of transportation to lay the tanks down. 
  *According to AISC 'General Safety Rules for Structural Steel Fabricators', 9.16: "Cylinders should be stored, transported and used in an upright position."  This is especially true of Acetylene because of the way it is generated within the tank in the first place.
  *ANSI Z49.1 'Safety in Welding, Cutting, and Allied Processes' differs to the various Departments of Transportation.  Check your states you will be travelling through to be safe.  They do stress the safely securing of cylinders to be transported.
  *OSHA Subpart J; 1926.350  in several clauses states, 'firmly secured', 'secured in vertical position' when transported by powered vehicles, etc.
  *AWS 'Independent Shop's Guide to Welding Safety and Health' gives several good points but as to vehicular transport goes to DOT and the Compressed Gas Association publication P-1.  Around the shop- safely secured in the vertical position even for transport.

Whatever you do,  SECURE THEM VERY WELL.  Many things can go wrong. 
2) Check with your DOT for safety rules.
3) If at all possible, transport in the vertical position.  It is safest. 

It will be said, "I've done it this way for years.  Never had a problem."  It only takes once.  And there have been many documented accidents through the years from transporting bottles improperly.  Acetylene is very unstable.  Treat it with great respect.  If transported horizontal, give it a lot of time vertical before using.  The longer the better. (And it is still hard on the tanks. They get eaten out from the inside when the chemicals are allowed to move improperly and no one knows until it blows.)

Just my two tin pennies worth.  Be SAFE.  Good luck.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By HNirider Date 05-19-2009 23:03
Everyone - thanks for the great information & cool pic.  I'll check with local vender to see if it is even worth it.

Thanks,

Hank
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Oxyacetylene Tank Safety