Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Selecting right welding consumable
- - By Nalla (***) Date 05-26-2009 04:06
Dear Friends

What is the best method of selecting right/ most compatible welding consumable for welding base metals with  2 different grades.
For Example - NV D grade ( CVN -20deg Celcius) x NV E550( CVN -40deg Celcius)
Service Condition of the Rig  -20 deg celcius.

Pls guide me in locating AWS D1.1 requirements.

Thanks
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-27-2009 20:49
I apologize for not being able to help you. I am not familiar with the European grades of steel. Our friend from Germany, Stephan, may be of some help on this inquiry.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jarcher (**) Date 05-27-2009 22:23
Well a suggestion rather than any hard and fast code requirements. Since you imply AWS D1.1 is the controlling code, its up to the EOR to specify temperature and impact energy on a fit for service basis. Once you have the temperature required and impact force required most manufacturers post charpy results for consumable weld metal (although its best to actually test this, as it seems from experience that the results posted are often higher than what can be obtained). Its simply a case then of selecting a consumable that will meet the mechanical requirements and the impact requirements. I don't know squat either about European grades, but I'm assuming the steels you are referring to fall within the D1.1 limitations as set forth in Section 1.2. If not, D1.1 doesn't apply.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-28-2009 05:11
In general, I try to match the mechanicals and the chemistry of the filler metal to those of the base metals as close as practical.

Many filler metal manufactures provide limited information on matching filler metals for different base metals (based on specificlation numbers). However, you mentioned AWS D1.1, so you would have to determine if your filler metal and base metal is (a) preapproved (combination). I doubt the base metals you listed are included, so I would expect you would have to qualify the procedures using the base metal and filler metals you propose to use. In other words, I don't believe you can meet all the prequalification prerequists, so you can not write a prequalified WPS for production. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Nalla (***) Date 05-30-2009 08:39
Hi Friends
STILL WORKING WITH AWS D1.1-2008 - Selecting the right/most compatible welding consumable
Joining base metal Grade D x Grade EH36 -
Weld Process - SMAW
What is the right consumable-E7016 or E7016G?
Why selcet one over the other?
Does AWS D1.1 have any specific requirements?
Pls guide me  
Thanks
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-30-2009 21:46
Since I am not familiar with all the details of your project, I would be skating on thin ice to give you any definitive response.

I can only tell you to look at AWS D1.1, Table 3.1, Group II base metals, and read the foot notes b and c at the bottom of the table to make sure you are in compliance with all the conditions listed. You also need to read footnotes 1 through 7 as they apply to the entire table.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jarcher (**) Date 05-30-2009 21:50 Edited 05-30-2009 21:53
Well, not having the AWS consumable specs right here before me, I'll hazard a guess. What G means in other places is "chemistry agreed upon between supplier and customer." I'm not sure of that and am open to correction, but you might find yourself limited to using a G rod by the same manufacturer. If that's not a hassle, then I would choose between mechanicals.
Parent - - By Nalla (***) Date 05-31-2009 06:19
Hi, Friends
AWS D.1-2008-Table 3.1-Note 1-allows 2 options
1) Filler metal matches the Higher Strength base metal
2) Filler metal matches the Lower Strength base metal
I want to weld ASTM A131-Group I steel-Mat Grade E(CVN -20deg. celcius) x ASTM A131-Group II steel-Mat Grade EH36(CVN -40deg. celcius)
Weld Process-SMAW
Now what would be the right consumable to weld?Pls advise.
How and when we go about deciding on the option 1 / option 2?

Thanks
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-31-2009 15:26
Look at footnote 1 at the bottom of Table 3.1 (AWS D1.1-2008).

Select the low hydrogen filler metal and preheat based on the higher strength base metal.

I assume you are using the weldment in the "as welded condition", i.e., no stress relief, so any filler metal with the suffixes listed in footnote c are not in consideration without being qualified by testing.

Charpy values have to be specified by the engineer and the procedure tested to verify the welding procedure is capable of meeting the requirements specified, i.e., absorbed energy at a specified temperature.

Based on the information provided, I would qualify my WPS using E7018-H4 to verify I could meet the engineer's requirements specifying  the conditions for notch toughness. You better check the ASTM material specifications to verify the base metal is capable of meeting the notch toughness requirements as well. Not all carbon steels have notch toughness in the range required for the application.

Best regards - Al 
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Selecting right welding consumable