Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.2 WPS/PQR
- - By david bean (**) Date 05-26-2009 16:31
Greetings ALL,

I am a QC Manager at a Steel fab company here in vegas.  The company recently bought the building next store and plan to start an Architectural metal company. The are getting ready to open for business and i have raised questions about their WPS's and Welder Qualifications.  
My question is do they have to follow the D1.2 and D1.6 like we do with our D1.1 and D1.4?
I would think so, but the Project Manager seems to think otherwise he says( because it is more ornamental than structural,  we dont need WPS) is this a load of crap or what?
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 05-26-2009 16:59
I'd say your bound the the contract document/ agreement of each specific project.  We have both a structural, stair and misc/ ornamental dept.  I have certified all our welders becasue there is always some statment somewherre that says, "All welds shall be in conformance to AWS D1.__"  In order for either the actual welds, or the welders who installed those welds to be in complience with a AWS code, they must be certified.
As far as WPS's it could go either way, very rarely does that ever be an issue.
Again, see what the contract spec calls for as a starting place.
Chris
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-27-2009 03:28
A bit on the sarcastic side, but here goes, when in doubt do the least possible. The lawyers will sort it our for you after the first mishap injures or kills someone.

Progressive companies take the proactive route by mitigating their liability by adopting a national standard when it isn't clearly defined by the building code. The company can show that they followed "best industry practices" by constructing their product to a recognized national standard.

I've seen architectural standards that did refer to AWS D1.1, but I'll be darn if I can remember the organization or the particular standard.

Anything that has to be with life-safety is usually covered by a standard, be it a building code, NFPA, OSHA, someone, somewhere has it covered and it is the sort of thing the lawyers love to hang their hat on.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.2 WPS/PQR