Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / My new welder
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-27-2009 21:43
So I picked up my new to me welder this weekend. Drove about 1700 miles round trip with a detour in Western NY. I paid $300 for the whole lot, spare engine turns over seems to be free, just have to bolt it down to something and wire it up to try and get it started. If I get this one running I'm gonna pull the engine on the machine now and do a swap. The original is seized up, we found dirt and stuff inside the cylinders. Figure I'll get it bored or sleeved if it's to far gone and completely rebuild it then do another swap and keep the second engine as a spare. When I picked up the stuff the fella said he was wanting to rebuild the starter(that's what they do) so if I would hang on for a few minutes they would do that for me. They gutted it, bead blasted it, installed new brushes, and other parts, painted it and tested it on the bench. I could'nt argue with that!! Here's some pics of the beast,
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-27-2009 22:13
Oh yeah, one more thing. Did the shorthoods not have sides on them? I've seen a few pictures and did not see sides so kinda thought that they did not. The hood on this one is beat, came out of a quarry and I have ideas on fab'ing up one myself.....but I know I heard you guys say there was a guy that did hoods out there somewhere? Any info?? Thanks again, sorry about all the chatter about the welder...just happy I found one I could afford!!
Parent - - By bbwinc (**) Date 05-27-2009 23:00
I see the spare has the oil filter upgrade,ur already money ahead. Is it a 52? Make sure u straighten out the picking eye she looks a little bent.lol                   
Looks like a fun project ,I got one i should start on soon.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-28-2009 00:50
It's a 51' according to lincolns website. I've picked it up twice, once to load it and once to unload, those things are heavy! My cheap cherry picker grunts when you try to roll it across the driveway! I noticed the oil filter on the spare and none on the original engine. I was talking to my Uncle up in western NY and he has a 47' or 48' Willies with the Continental engine in it. He said they started building those Continentals in the 20's? His Willies does not have an oil filter either, he figures the oil was changed in 48' or 49' but his dad(owned it originally) did'nt change oil and neither has he. They use it to gather firewood in the woods, plow the driveway. He said all she needs is a shot of either and a 1 gallon gas jug hung from the window cause the original tank is full of holes and it'll start right up. Although I do recall him saying something about clearing out the mesquitos for about a 6 mile radius!!

I figure I'll relocate the oil filter with some good hose and also thinking about relocating the air filter, maybe coming through the top, get a bit cooler air, easier access for maintenance and such. It'll sure be fun, just got to get an engine running so I can check out the welder portion.
Parent - - By hillbilly (**) Date 05-28-2009 01:49
Shawn,
     Do you have anyone that can break us the sheet for acouple hoods? Ifso i've got us a source for the S.S.sheet
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-28-2009 09:10
that poor thing sure has had the **** beat out of it. Find a good sandblaster and go to town
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-28-2009 09:55
I got a small pot sandblaster at the house. Yeah, she's a bit rough. The story was it sat in the quarry for years when the guy I got it from picked it up. Then it sat in his shop for 9 years as he tried to make time to get to it.
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 05-28-2009 13:49
I have had better luck using a wire wheel than sandblasting-- snadblasting pits the metal out, the wire wheel will smooth it..
Parent - - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 05-28-2009 18:29
Hey k the deal with sand blasting is the media you use. The more course the material the more pitting you get. If you use a finer media the better the finish! I've heard the auto body guys use walnut hulls crushed up mixed with cornstarch to do their metal finishing.
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 05-28-2009 20:02
reguardless of the media-- getting the stuff into the windings is no good
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-28-2009 23:09
Good point. I'll likely sandblast the body or glass bead more than likely. As far as the generator/welder portion most likely good ol' fashion elbow grease with a wire wheel as suggested. The engine however will get carried over to the Cat dealer I used to work at for a good ol' fashion acid dip along with the head. I've tossed engine blocks out of D11's in that tank straight out of the coal mine and after a couple days they are ready to paint.

I'm working on finding out the numbers on my second engine and will most likely be calling on you for some prices, gaskets, main/rod bearings, carb kit and so on. Also need to know the standard bore on one of these old things so I can check it out and see if I can get by with a simple hard hone and rings or if I'll have to take it 20 over. Hopefully can just hone and ring it to keep costs down. It appears that my chief mechanic(me) is wanting to do a complete overhaul, I suggested just fixing the leaks and getting it running, but he ain't going for it!! :-) Tells me do it now and you won't have to touch it again in my lifetime.

So, once I get the engine done, get the chassis all cleaned up then all I have left is the generator portion. Hopefully some brushes and some new cables(they look to be about 50+ years old) and it'll go on. If that don't do it, well, what's a few more dollars. I hope to keep the whole deal around $2000, then I'll only have $2300 into the old girl, still cheaper than what I can get a used one for and then I'll know every bolt, gasket and part on the machine.
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 05-29-2009 16:56
go ahead with a complete overhaul on the engine 1300-1800. While the machine is apart--check the shunt field coils (41 ohms) and also check across your 5th gear cable to generator case. These 2 checks will let you know how ALL your windings are. Take the housing to a electric motor shop and have the cables replaced and get it dipped and baked (approx $400). Check the bearing pocket in your exciter bracket, you want it smooth, no lip..

You will love the result you get from a wire wheel. I would go ahead and cut a new piece of metal for the front panel.. You can put a little heat to the metal knobs, then pull them off easy!!!!!!!
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-30-2009 11:02
Thanks for the great info K! I'll be sure to do those checks.
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-29-2009 01:32
no i didn't mean sand blast it like it is I'd take irt apart and sandblast each piece of the body and frame not the gen or motor.

K you're right mine does look like it has some pits in it but at a distance you can't tell. I was lucky mine wasn't to bad
Parent - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 05-29-2009 16:18
Most guys or girls that are gonna blast their machine are gonna break them down for rebuild anyway so getting it in the windings isn't a problem. It was just an idea anyway thought it would help. OH and hey Shad check out some of them hotrod websites and you'll see what I'm talkin about. I'm not just talkin outa my ars here. Just givin alternatives. No mallis intended. PIECE PEEPS!!
Parent - By Smokin_1 (**) Date 06-02-2009 23:27
soda would work good but it takes a different blast pot
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 05-29-2009 04:11
i did body work for 10 years and never heard of the malnut shells o just broke out a box of 80, 180 and 320 grit paper and went to work. if the pitting isnt to bad it can be filled with primer standard primer coat is 4 passes plenty of room for wet sanding and painting. No i dont wanna paint the machine lol
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-30-2009 02:58
Crushed walnut shell is a good blast media for removing old peeling paint from machinery that CAN NOT be exposed to an abrasive or shot blast. It still must be used with care. It is good for use on soft metals too.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-30-2009 11:07
I've heard of the walnut shell thing to. Also soda blasting which seems to be the "new" big thing right now for body panels. Supposed to be real good and gentle on the metal. It's getting a new hood and front panel anyhow and I'm actually considering taking the shroud over the radiator to the place thats gonna do my hood fab and see how much to get a new one of those bent up. Thought about stainless for all but 4x8 sheet my cost $180, plain steel $38. As far as paint....I'm thinking about getting it powder coated.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-28-2009 09:58
Hey Brian, actually I was thinking about doing it at school. We've got that thing.....yeah, the technical term, the three big rollers to form sheet. Stan said it'll do 11 gauge but it's tough. As far as the edges go we've got a manual one but not sure if it's long enough, plus I'm concerned I'll by a piece of steel and screw it up!! I may actually know a place that would be capable of doing it though. I'll try and give them a call today and find out.
Parent - - By Tnwelder (**) Date 05-29-2009 01:35
Cummins guy looks like a great welder man. them older welders are great, i have an old airco welder that will stick and tig and i have worked on some jobs and been through college and i havent found a welder that will out weld it man.  Just take good care of it and it will keep going man.  By the way where at in Tennessee do u live.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-29-2009 09:49
I'm about 5 miles away from Mt.Pleasant near Columbia.....30 minutes or so from Spring Hill and the Saturn/GM plant.
Parent - - By hillbilly (**) Date 05-29-2009 11:37
wow yet another tennesseean on here. I'm over in Dickson county. What about you TNwelder?
Parent - - By Tnwelder (**) Date 05-30-2009 19:02
hillbilly i live in northeast tennessee in carter county man.  bout 15 miles from the bristol motor speedway if you all watch nascar.  Good to here from some people that live in tennessee. I started to think i was the only one from here.
Parent - - By Eric Carroll (**) Date 06-02-2009 03:44
My shop is in Nashville and we go all over the state. Dropped a bunch of knee braces off in Columbia today.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-03-2009 16:11
Well Eric that means you were only about 20 minutes from my place. Go out 43 towards Lawrenceburg then hook a right and head west. Well that makes 4 of us on the site here in TN. 
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 06-04-2009 13:41
Make it 5,I live in Oak Ridge.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / My new welder