Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weldability of Powdered Metals
- - By Timmmt Date 02-21-2002 20:31
My company is investigating the welding of powder metal components in a dynamically loaded application. We currently use some small components but only in a non-loaded application and are using the GMAW process with E-70 S-3 electrode and 95-5 Argon Oxygen blend with bad results. The welds are just full of porosity and are extremely brittle. I am looking for information, specifically, process requirements and physical properties of powdered metals in the "as welded" condition. I tell the "Engineers" that it's not a good idea to do this but, I'm just a welder. Thanx, Tim Tompkins AWS-CWI-CW
Parent - - By Niekie3 (***) Date 02-22-2002 17:39
What alloys are you wanting to weld. Is it plain C/Mn steel? If so, why do they want to make these parts from powder metal?

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By Timmmt Date 02-23-2002 11:17
First, the Company is trying to save money and most of the parts we are looking at require machining for size, shape and threads. We currently purchase these components in 1010 ~ 1026 grade steels and weld them to stampings made of HR sheet steel in the same class using the GMAW process. "Casting" these parts out of powdered metal will save us thousands of dollars a month vs the costs of machining. I have looked high and low trying to find information about the weldability and process parameters required to attach these parts to our stampings with little sucess.
The product Material Designation of the powdered metal parts is F-0005 with an Fe content of 97.4 ~ 99.7 and a C content of 0.3 min to 0.6 maximum.
From all indications, the materials resemble cast iron and depending upon the powder mix, cure time, post processes and other factors drastically effect the microstructure.
To quote the MPIF Standard "The carbon content of a sintered structure can be estimated metallographically from the area fraction of pearlite where 100% pearlite is equivalent to approx: 0.8 carbon."
Looks like they mix graphite powder, Iron powder and several other chemicals to produce the raw castings and then bake them just below the melting point to diffuse the carbon into the iron.
From what I have seen, they can make some intricate castings, gears, splines, hubs etc. but nothing really weldable?
Thanx for your reply and any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!! Tim Tompkins Sears Mfg. Co. Davenport IA.
Parent - - By Niekie3 (***) Date 02-23-2002 21:47
I have not had the occasion to weld these powdered metals myself, so anybody that has had some experience must please help if I am missing the boat.

The reason that I asked about why you want to go the powder metallurgy route is that it is only really cost effective under certain circumstances. These typically being:

1)Where a near net shape part is produced that needs almost no extra finishing.
2)Alloys are "designed" that can not actually exist in the moulten state. (Typically the moulten metals are not miscible.)

Actually the powder metallurgy route is not a hell of a cheap route. Almost always these parts are made where a great number of parts will be used, where the added benefit of the "no extra finishing" is of major importance.

If the parts your company are making need to be close tolerance, then they will most likely need to be final machined following welding, so I don't actually see the benefit of the PM route. What I am trying to say here is just that the "engineers" must make sure they have done their sums right if they recon that PM will be cheaper. If the parts can be "rough and ready" without close tolerances, then forging would usually be cheaper.

When welding this type of material, there are a number of "issues". These are:

1)The method whereby the PM part was made. Basically there are two broad categories of fabrication method. The first is to just press the part and then sinter it. The second is to also add a lower melting point metal into the mix which then tends to "braze" the PM part together during the sintering cycle. Just make sure that your components do not have the added low melting point bit. The 99.7%Fe almost certainly will not have, but I am not sure about the 97.4%Fe components. If this is present, then your whole problem grows.
2)These PM parts typically have densities of 95 - 99% those of "ordinary" parts. This means that you have quite a bit of gas in the parent metal itself. (Up to 5%.) This can only mean all kinds of trouble when welding. It is clear that porosity will necessarily be an issue that you need to worry about.
3)When you weld these parts, you will melt the PM base material and this will be included in the weld metal. (No surprise, but just remember that any impurities introduced through the PM process will end up in your weld.)

If the material is a 0.3% C steel, then the metallurgy of the part and weld should not pose too big a problem. With 0.6% C, you will need to follow the typical procedures for high C steels. In particular the Hydrogen issues become very important because the base metal has so many spots where H can accumulate. (All the little pores.)

As I have said, I have not welded this myself, but here is the approach that I would take as a start:

1)Get a filler and gas combination that gives you a weld pool that is as fluid as possible. In addition, use high heat inputs. This will again allow the weld pool to stay fluid for a long time. (If welding GMAW, use spray transfer if possible.) I would suggest you try FCAW, as the flux covering will allow slower cooling. All this is to try and give the gas bubbles enough time to rise to the surface of the weld pool.
2)If you are welding components with C content in excess of 0.4%, then go the whole hog of pre-heating and PWHT. You stated that the components would be load bearing, so a brittle weld is bad news. With a 0.6% C content you will definatelly end up with a brittle weld. You therefore will need the PWHT.

Just another thought. If you are replacing 1010 - 1026 grade steels, why the high C content of the PM parts? I would try to stick to low C contents.

Hope this gives you a place to start.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Parent - By BP Maas (**) Date 02-25-2002 13:41
I had a snowblower with a powdered metal gear that broke. Tried TIG welding the part, had the same issues with brittle porous welds, part broke in a short time. I machine off the old weld and used Welco 170 nickel silver brazing rod, this was fifteen years ago. My former spouse has the snowblower now, as far as I know it's still holding up, believe me if it had broken, I would hear about it!
Sorry can't offer more help, but maybe brazing might help the situation.

Good luck, Brad
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 02-22-2002 18:22
You have Niekie's attention. Answer his questions and your problem will most likely be solved. In case you can't tell, I'm a fan of Niekie's. Charles Hall
Parent - By Timmmt Date 02-25-2002 18:57
Thank you Niekie, BP Mass & chall for your responses to my problem. I think that with all of the data collected, our Engineering department as well as the "bean counters" have taken a second look at the possibility of welding powdered metal and have ruled out the idea. I'm sure that the potential is there for cost savings but we would have to introduce new processes to cope with the requirements of welding this material and this could offset the savings.
We weld up pre-machined parts onto stampings and try to control the resulting dimensional distortion through process control and CPK studies. The parts in question are axle blocks, cut to length and tapped @ $1.40 ea. and powder metal has them at $0.45 ea. Trunion tubes, (lots of machining) and various other components with simular savings. Since we use thousands of them a year, the potential is there if only we could find a reasonable alternative. The material would have to be compatable with our GMAW process as these are mostly robotically welded (adding the brazing or alternative process adds cost) and withstand the forces of the application. The other problem with powdered metal is the low ductility, yield strength and elongation numbers. If you know of any reasonable alternative materials, I'm all ears!!!!!!! Thanx again for everything!!!!!!!! Tim Tompkins AWS-CWI, CW
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weldability of Powdered Metals