Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / My first "pipeline"....
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-30-2009 22:30
Ok, ok, I know you big pipeliners will get a chuckle out of this one. This is a single hand job I got on for a company. 2 1/2" gas pipe to feed the roof units. Some reason they spec'd out welded pipe instead of screw pipe. We have tie in's that go to thread pipe to fish around all the units on the roof. This was a fun project and really helped hone my skills, as it has been said, "lots of hood time". Plus it helps because, well as we all know you have things out in the field you have to deal with as the welder and makes you realize why practicing at school is perfect, even in those little booths they have.

Kinda boosted my ego though, was out there and the roof dudes were putting up their stuff. Had a bunch of south of the border welders up there and every once in awhile I'd get that feeling, like your being watched and I'd raise up the pancake and they'd be on the curb looking at me. I'd just think, yep, welding that pipe, structural welders....bahh! Don't get testy! Just some good ol' friendly pokin', like Ford and Chevy etc. We're out doing some chilled cooler piping now and realizing why I don't want to be a boilermaker!
Parent - - By Johnyutah (**) Date 05-30-2009 23:28
There only allowed to thread up to 2" If I remember correctly after that it is all welded. That's good though nothing like welding gas line on a roof to bad it's not August thats when it's really fun drinking about 4 gallons of water a day.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-31-2009 04:00
Yeah we were lucky, mostly cloudy and rainy or chance of rain. They have us up there running the rest of the pipe to the units and it's been nice and sunny on the new roof! That black rubber roof was so hot you could'nt even kneel down without burning off your kneecaps!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / My first "pipeline"....