Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / CVN testing on 1/4" plate
- - By rickc (**) Date 06-03-2009 16:49
Section 4.34.1 (P.134) of D1.1:2008 states that CVN testing is to be per Figure 4.40 (P.189) and Table 4.14 (P.153). Table 4.14 lists CVN test locations as in the Weld, FL+1 and FL+5 and Figure 4.40 shows where to remove them from plates 1/2" thick and under.

One of our vendors says that their mechanical testing house can not perform a FL+5mm CVN test on a 1/4" single v-groove weld coupon. By my reading the code is prepared for that and lists out sub-sized specimens that may be used in 4.35.5 (P.135) and Table 4.15 (P.153). So, I suppose my understanding of this is relatively shallow as I don't see why they would be able to perform the all the Weld and FL+1mm tests but, not the FL+5mm tests. Any thoughts?

Also, assuming the the test house is correct for a moment, how do they prepare a D1.1 compliant PQR without all the required testing? Have the EOR sign a statement on the PQR that it was impossible to perform the FL+5mm test on this coupon and that consequently this is acceptable?

Thanks,
-Rick
Parent - - By castle (*) Date 06-24-2009 19:45
What was the dimensions of the weld coupon?
Parent - By rickc (**) Date 06-24-2009 20:26
Hmmm, that's a thought. On the phone, our vendor seemed to think that the test house was claiming that it couldn't be done on 1/4" thick material of any length or height. Not that you mention it though, I suppose it's possible that they misunderstood the test house and that may have actually been saying that they didn't have enough coupon material left to take the samples. Hmmmmmmmm.
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 06-26-2009 00:44
Rick,
What is the purpose of CVN tests on 1/4" plate?  1/4" plate is not prone to brittle failure due to the small thickness and lack of tri-axial stresses.  Since CVNs are intended to determine resistance to brittle failure, they are normally not required on thin plate.
Parent - - By rickc (**) Date 06-26-2009 16:28
It's a contractual requirement with our customer that every weld procedure must be qualified by testing with CVN's.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-28-2009 12:57
In hind sight it might have been better to qualify the procedure on thicker material. I know that's little help after the plate has been welded, but hopefully there will be a next time.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / CVN testing on 1/4" plate