Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / Kilojoule requirement for 588 steel
- - By dmilesdot (**) Date 06-05-2009 17:48
I would like to know from any of the metalurgist on the forum why there would be a requirement in our manual for a minimum heat input for welding 588 material.  I have ask this question of our engineers but no one has an answer.  However we dont have any metalurgist here. I have ask this question of the Lincoln people as well and they couldnt give me an answer either.
thanks
Dave
Parent - By Eutectic (**) Date 08-03-2009 12:11
Dave what is the full description of the material?
Parent - - By fludnor Date 08-18-2009 02:11
are you referring to ASTM A588 material (nom. compo of C-Mn-Ni-Cu-Cr-V or Cb)? in terms of KJ, i believe this refers to heat input during welding. if this is the case, then probably the heat input affects the microstructure of the A588 material thereby affecting its intended properties. i haven't had any experience with this material but i hope this short info would help.
Parent - By cwi49cwe (*) Date 09-20-2009 20:38
Another consideration is what is the material thickness, typically A588 has also impact properties requirements and to insure impact properties AND base metal strengths the total heat input prior to welding , the heat of the welding process and cooling period are all essential variables. This metal is in the catagory of HSLA (high strength low alloy) and thermal shock is a concern when planning to keep under bead cracking at an absolute minimun, keeping in mind there is never a 100% guarentee on thicker members, (controlling embrittlement in the heat affected zone is your objective in addition to protecting base metal properties),
1 to 6" thick, the need to control the martensitic formation (because we do have C, Mn, Cr, V, ) Without a controlled heat input you will either distroy yield strength or impact (knotch toughness) properties.
Keep in mind what major weld variables contribute to heat input: weld amperage (wire stick out variations during welding will incr. or decr. arc amps during welding), arc volts and travel speed. Never get in a hurry welding HSLA steels and Quenched and Tempered steels: A588, A514, A517, A542, A242, A508, A542, A592, A709-gr100, HY-80, HY-100, SSS-100, etc. A copy of ASM Handbook Vol. 6 -- WELDING -- will be a constant sourse of information.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / Kilojoule requirement for 588 steel