Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Competitions?
- - By Surferdude (*) Date 06-06-2009 00:41
Hello,
Let me introduce myself a little. I am 20 years old now and went to my local vocational school for welding while in high school and completed the course. I was certified and have worked at a few shops while going to college for engineering (just completed my first year). Back when I was at the vocational school I was selected to compete at a competition. AWS was (I believe) sponsored this competition. I was wondering if there was any kind of competetions that I would be able to go to and participate in since I am out of school? For both fun, pride and maybe some nice prices (always a plus)? Are there any kinds of these events? thanks for any help everyone :)
Parent - - By Shooter71 (**) Date 06-06-2009 00:58
How about work all week and get a prize in a white envelope on friday.
Parent - - By Surferdude (*) Date 06-06-2009 01:51
i wish but I was laid off because there wasnt enough work, and no where (including welding or retail kind of bs) is hiring...
Parent - By F-Superduty (*) Date 06-06-2009 02:04
I just finished my second year at Penn college for welding. I competed in highschool in the regional and state levels in the Skills USA competitions, but at college the AWS conducted a contest for us as well.

They had a highschool competition and then a college level competition which i competed in. Took second place and won a little lincoln mig welder and some other knick knacks.

I dont know if they hold these competitions in all the colleges that offer welding but one would think that they hold these competitions across the U.S. then again maybe they dont....
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 06-08-2009 12:59
Like said above, they do have competitions in the highschool and college level through skills U.S.A. in just about every state.  You would need to find a college that is affiliated with Skills U.S.A. and sign up to take a class.  Let it be known that you wish to pursue the welding competitions and off ya go.  How old are you?  The Skills U.S.A. state and national competitions have no age limit, but the international competition does.  There is also a professional welding competiton held in Chicago every other year at the AWS/FABTECH welding show and convention.  They pay some pretty decent money to place at that competition.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Competitions?