Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / butt welding of cold rolled strip
- - By moso Date 06-06-2009 07:02
I have a question about butt welding of cold rolled carbon steel strip (W= 5 cm, T= 1.5 mm) that work as a big spiral spring.
I want to know how I can give information about Welding Process, WPS and PQR of butt welding of this strip.
I want to know about related standards and codes.
One of my important necessaries is: This weld shall not be fractured at weld line under cyclic fatigue load of this spring (Fracture should take place at base metal).
Can we weld this strip by TIG and it qualified?
Thanks for your help
Best regards
moso   
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-07-2009 04:28
In general it is dificult to get the same mechanical properties on a weld and the associated heat affected zone in spring steel or medium to high carbon steel that the wrought heat treated product has. The more heavily loaded, the less likely Your chances of success. Is is possible to design this part so that it can be made from one continuous piece?

For specific advice You need to mention the alloy and heat treatment if there is any. The HAZ from a weld will affect the work hardening from cold rolling or depending on the alloy, leave a brittle area.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / butt welding of cold rolled strip