Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 6G heat setting
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-09-2009 11:33
I'm gonna try real hard to keep this short.

On my plate tests, 3g/4g I would run around 115-120, root burned in good, great cap on 3g passed x-ray/lab tests. 4g unlimited, same general temperature setting around 120-122 passed test got papers/wps with both. Everyone else at school is was running around the 135-145 range for the same(3g)

Now, I've been doing 6g for about 3 weeks I guess. 6010 root, uphill, then 7018 out. Been using sch120. I figured I could set this at 120 or so and run the fill/cap without a problem. It's not working out that way. I bet your thinking, turn the heat down.......nope. I have this thing set on 135-140???? I'm doing stringers all the way, they lay out nicely on the toes whereas with it set at 120 it seems like I'm trying to fight it in there. I wondered if I had changed from running the 6010 for the last 3 months, did a 3g and around 120, same machine and was fine. On the pipe, my slag is easy to come off, just little pecks with the hammer and the little wider welds they start to peel by themselves.

I've talked to one guy(Uncle) he said you needed to run lower heat when I first started but when I do the rod sticks, the weld don't lay out in the toes, looks cold. Heres my question, What's the deal?? I run colder than most on 3g/4g, sounds like hotter than most on 6g for fill and cap?? Should I be known as backwards man?? I figured some of you more s'perienced folks might have some insight. It's not real important but it's just odd, several folks I have already talked to when I say I'm trying to figure out my cap say, run it colder, one guy said he ran his around 100! I finally figured out how to stack the welds last night on my final run to where it looks good, still running around 135-140 though? I told my teacher I just got ticked one day when running at 120 and cranked the knob and ran it where it landed, about 138 and have left it there ever since, he had a puzzled look.

What's the deal?????????

signed,

confused Shawn
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 06-09-2009 21:39
If you can adjust the arc run it just a little crisp and turn amps down . I start out about 130 turn down about 5 every set of passes . cap about 105 -115  . thats just what works for me ,I'm not a pipewelder but have to run a 6g test once a year .
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-10-2009 03:18
I started out at the 120 range and would run slow, felt like I was in my late 80's drivin' to the grocery store! Thought I'd never get done with that pipe. Last night I figured out how to stack my stringers, pay attention to how I'm building them up and such. Just thought I was the odd ball welder since I'm opposite of what I keep hearing. Thanks for the replies, I keep hearing that a lot though, whatever works for you, everybody has a different technique.
Parent - By jrod (**) Date 06-09-2009 21:47
you gotta figure out what works for you. if your makeing the the tests it should be fine
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 6G heat setting