Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Heat Effective Zones?
- - By Max072878 Date 06-10-2009 03:17
Hello, I have a report for school  and the topic is "What are heat effective zones and why is important to understand them?"
Can anyone give me the resouces I need to learn about this topic?
Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank You.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-10-2009 03:54
Welcome to the forum Max

Your text book is the first place to start.

I used the search function right on this forum and found over 250 hits on "Heat affected zone"

That should keep you busy for a while.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 06-10-2009 15:41
Just to complete Lawrence's answer, the correct term is "heat affected zone" and not "heat effective zone". Check in your book.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By huntnfish Date 06-10-2009 15:56
Your instructor can let you know certain areas that can help you with this topic.  He has many text in his office along with information that will help you to pursue the information needed.  He's there to help you succeed and not hender your success.  You have certainly found a valuable source of information within the AWS forums.  FYI - Your instructor will allow you to cite information obtained from this website.
Parent - - By Max072878 Date 06-11-2009 13:29
Thanks for the help. But i don't have a textbook. I'm in welding school and this was a random topic. So how do I find real info on the subject without my teacher and a book. Searching the forums doesn't give me the facts that I need. I just want to know if anyone actually knows a site where I can go.
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-11-2009 13:42 Edited 06-11-2009 13:44
I know its easy to ask questions but come on, you're in school, so I would assume that you are younger than most of us here.  Based upon that assumption, I would guess that you have heard of this thing called the Internet.  Since you came to this Forum for answers, I would also assume that you are aware of the existance of the Internet.

With that in mind try to your favorite search engine and search for Heat Affected Zone.  Wikipedia is a good place to start.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat-affected_zone
It's alot more reliable than it used to be and it will give you a starting point.  Another topic where you might find information about HAZ is in metalurgical books.  Try the library.  If your town has a college with an engineering library, they might have some texts.

I don't think that we are trying to be dicks about it but come on.  Nothing is easier than research in the 21st Century.  No matter where you go you have computers that do all the work for you.  All you have to do is sift through the information in your search and draw conclusions from it.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-11-2009 14:01
Your in welding school and there are no welding textbooks available to students?

If this were true I would say find another school.

But since it is prolly not true... Go to the library!

Nobody here is going to do your work for you.
Parent - - By reddoggoose (**) Date 06-11-2009 15:48
I think you guys maybe a little hard on this gentleman. He is not asking for anyone to do his work for him, he would just like some suggestions for some quality resource material.

A couple books come to my mind. The first is Welding Metallurgy Volume 1. 4th Edition, by George Linnert. This is a large technical book that contains a wealth of welding metallurgy knowledge. However, it is quite technical. Another book that is a less technical, but is still a very good resource for a welder is Metals and How To Weld them. I believe you can find this book on Lincolns website. It would be a good resource for a student and is reasonably priced. The AWS Welding Handbooks may also be a good place to look.

Good luck
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-12-2009 16:45
I used the following key words for a Google search: "welding heat affected zone", and found numerous sites that describe the HAZ.

Al
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 06-12-2009 23:28
The gentleman already pooh-poohed the idea of looking in a book.
Parent - - By Max072878 Date 06-14-2009 19:44 Edited 06-14-2009 19:53
Thank you guys for all the real help. It has been very useful. My report is now going well. My instructor gave me some books that was very helpful. On another note.....this is an EDUCATION forum where people can come for answers and help. I never asked anyone to do the work for me just wanted an abundance of information to make my report as good as I can get it. To all who decided to be jerks and smartsasses go find a forum where education is not part of your output. Clearly you are out of place.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 06-25-2009 18:47
People are happy to help when it looks like you've done what you can to find out answers on your own.  If you didn't even bother to get the spelling of the term, then you clearly didn't do your research.  If you can't be arsed to talk to your teacher or go look in a book, then basically you're asking the forum members to do your homework for you, and that just sucks.

Also, scolding the members of this forum isn't going to make them any happier to help you in the future.  Neither is the "but you're *supposed* to help me!" whine.  No one here is obligated to do anything for anyone.  People are here on a volunteer basis, and if they think they're being taken advantage of, they're not going to be very helpful.  An "education" site is not the same thing as a "do my homework for me" site.  Please learn the difference.  Work ethic doesn't only apply when you have a welder in your hand.

Hg
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-25-2009 20:03
Ditto, to Hgtx post.

Since you are in welding school, I assume that you've not been around too many welders.  I've been in this business for too long yet not as long as many others but one thing that I've noticed about welders is that we can be some arrogant bassturds.  At least the ones I've been around, and myself included.  One thing you are gonna have to do is put in the work to get respect. 

When you get out on a job your heart going to get broken many times by many different people of all levels because you're new.  If you go in there with an atitude like someone owes you something then you might want to get into a different profession.  I don't think any of us were that hard on you.  Believe me you'll see alot more ridicule than this.  To have the arrogance you have to put your time, shut up and and pay attention.  And the whole idea of "there are no stupid questions" don't really apply in OUR world, the world you're trying to get into.  Its trial by fire.  When I learned to weld the guy told me, the machine is over there, grab some scrap, he showed me 1 time and off I went.

If you don't have even basic answers of your own, you need to find the answers on your own.  Or you're going to be considering many of your coworkers "jerks".  This is a big boy game that we're in.  You have to have thick skin to play.  Ears and eyes and as little mouth as possible will get you a long way and open up doors to the tricks of the trade.  Many of the "old bassturds" you might be working with won't help you until you help yourself.  I worked with a young guy one time, he was a ginger that I nicknamed Cinnamon.  His first day at work he couldn't figure out how to turn on his machine.

Many of us here have been here for a while and been in the business for far too long.  There's guys out there right now that have forgotten more shi* than you'll ever know about your new profession unless you take the initiative to figure out at least the basics on your own.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 06-27-2009 18:31
Awwww Somebody got offended because they didn't get the answers right away!!! Byron & HG are absolutely correct in scolding you for your own lack of initiative in searching for the answers on your own - Mr. instant gratification who seems to think that the education section of this forum is supposed to give you the answers to all of your questions just because - it says "Education." BWWWAAAAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

I believe this young man is suffering from the same syndrome that most young folks these days are also finding to be  most nucomfortable in their transition to the real world from the world of academia, and home life living with either their parents or enabling relatives...
It's called "Instant Gratification Syndrome." Otherwise known as "IGS." I personally believe that this syndrome has reached pandemic proportions amongst the youth in advanced industrialized nations.

So you're probably real mad at us folks who are giving you such a hard time huh??? Do you really want to know why??? MOTIVATION - PERIOD!!! If you can't handle that type of motivation then, I wish you the best in finding a job where you will be treated with "kids gloves" which is exactly what you're demanding, and unrealistically expecting from all of us folks who have paid there dues many times over.

Let me let you in on a surefire method of gaining respect from total strangers..... You can start by NOT demanding answers especially when an answer to any of your questions can easily be found through multiple resources just by putting a little bit of effort on your own!!!! If you still need some clarification regarding the answers that you found by doing your own search, you can then come in here, and most - if not all of us would be more than happy to HELP you out but, this section is NOT an ANSWERS section in this here forum, so please understand that simple fact.

In other words, we're here to HELP as much as we can provided you give us as much background, and relevant information as possible for your particular query...
However, this is NOT an ANSWERS section in this forum - PERIOD!!! Once you understand this, you'll find that this forum is a valuable resource to HELP you in seeking the ANSWERS your looking for in solving whatever questions you may have related to the topics listed in this forum - CAPECHE???

If you do not understand what this word means, then look it up young man!!! Don't worry, some day soon you'll be giving some good advice to folks who will also be in the position you're currently in - which is being in a boat on a very turbulent, and rapidly changing river without a paddle to steer you out of trouble :) :) ;) We were all there once so, "Weldcome" to the AWS Forum.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By michael kniolek (***) Date 06-27-2009 19:39 Edited 06-28-2009 13:48
in the work force people will hold out on knowledge to be more valuable, and those kids will be S.O.L.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-27-2009 23:02
Well fellas it looks like we have another member of the Jerk and Smartarse Club.  Good show Henry. :-)
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 06-28-2009 13:42
Maybe I should post here, I want my rating BELOW 1 :)

Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Heat Effective Zones?