Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Info on CWI Training and Testing
- - By chrisodom980 (*) Date 06-10-2009 23:18
I am thinking of getting my CWI cert and have a couple of qustions. If I spend 1500 to 2000 dollars for this, is the money in the long run worth it and are there plenty of jobs availble for CWI' s. Also how long of training would I need to take 5 7 or 10 days. I have been welding going on 8 years but been in constructions for 10.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-11-2009 00:10
Chris,

I guess it depends upon what you consider 'worth it'.  Especially after taking the seminar and test (which I passed the first time through when I took it last year) I wish every fabricator shop/business would send at least one key employee to at least the seminar part.  It is that good.  And I believe it is that important that everyone know more about their trade and what is expected of them according to the codes they SAY they work to. 

If you are taking the test through AWS you don't have but one option on how long the training is.  You start Sunday afternoon and take the exam the following Saturday.  The more you study and know ahead of time the less of a cram course it will be and the more likely you will be to pass.

Just my two tin pennies worth. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By chrisodom980 (*) Date 06-11-2009 00:20
The one in Pascagula MS. offers a 5 7 and 10 class that is why I asked.  And when I say worth it I mean compared to what I make pipe welding?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-11-2009 00:36
Keep welding.  I make much more at the shop than I do inspecting.  BUT, I don't have near as much overhead needed to do the inspections.  And currently, it's hard to get the travel and per dium pay for inspecting that you can get for field pipe welding.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 06-12-2009 12:40
I agree with Brent.  Keep welding.  I've welded for over 25 years and have never tried a 6G test.  A pipe welder is at the top of their trade.

The CWI is an opening to inspection.  You would be at the low end of the trade.  Inspection is entire field.  The problem is that you’re competing again degreed engineers, some with PhD’s!!!

Some places try to hire low-end inspectors/CWI's to buy off junk.  My employer can't understand why everyone's not certified.

It's good to have the CWI on your resume and it has helped me.  I have side jobs as a result.  It's a great feeling when you pass the test that over 30% fail.

I'd tell you to go for it, but don't think it has magical powers.

Good Luck,
Keith
Parent - - By Arctic 510 (**) Date 06-12-2009 23:55
I was a welder for years before getting the CWI cert.  I'm a full-time inspector now, and for me it was worth it, financially and otherwise,  It is NOT a magic ticket though, and is just the first step in another field.  Getting a CWI doesn't automatically guarantee you good pay though, as has been stated here already.  I am in the petroleum/oil world and there is no shortage of work for CWIs / NDE techs / API inspectors.  Good luck!
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-13-2009 00:22
In that case, got any job leads?
Parent - - By chrisodom980 (*) Date 06-18-2009 01:09
thanks for the info. But I think i am going to keep welding, theres alot of jobs out there right now paying to good. So i dont think it would be a good idea to start another trade.
Parent - By stanantonio Date 06-18-2009 03:35
I dont mean to bardge in on chris's topic but I have ten yrs in welding from pipline to nuke, eathanol to sanitary. I have a 2yr degree in welding and I also have a 2yr degree in NDT.  (thought it might be a good degree to fall back on)  I am currently considering getting my CWI and taking about 3 months a yr to work on field certs such as RT, MT, PT,UT ect.  I also thought about starting my NACE certs as well.  What do you guys think?
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 06-18-2009 20:45
it's always "worth it" in my opinion, i'm a degreed welding engineer and did my time as a welder and even though I do no inspection related tasks in my job I'm in the process of becoming a CWI as it's another tool in the bag
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Info on CWI Training and Testing