Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CJP Tubular
- - By cjones Date 06-11-2009 13:56
Hopefully someone can help me out here. We are building skids to DNV 2.7-1 in our shop and require CJP welds on the primary structure. The tubing is 4x4x3/8. We want to use backing inserts to make it easier for the welders and to also to negate the necessity of qualifying a weld procedure (AWS D1.1). Is there an insert that can be used in a tubular 90° corner joint with the two pieces of tube cut to 45°?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-11-2009 20:13
Hello cjones, I don't know if this will specifically answer your question, but I know many who will use a piece of say: 3/4"" plate as a sort of internal stiffner/backing combination. Usually the edge that would contact the outside 45 is bevelled to a double-sided 45 and a land equal to the joint spacing is left on the center of this edge. This plate is inserted into one half of the joint and tacked into place, then the other half is fitted and tacked in it's appropriate position. After cleaning up the tacks the welding can proceed. I have attached a sketch that I hope somewhat explains the process I have outlined above. The stiffner is shown from a top/down view and shows the edge of the plate in it's position relative to the inside of the tube joint. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By cjones Date 06-11-2009 20:25
That helped lots. I never even thought of using plate like that. I had my brain focused on using some type of tubular like configuration. Again, THANKS!
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 06-12-2009 02:33
why not just bevel the end of the tubing and weld it up dont get me wrong your idea is great but thats alot of rod on 3/8 square tubing. Just my opion i'm just a welder not an engineer
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-12-2009 05:03
Hello Shad, I see your point as well. Yet, in the world of shop fabrication and certain field conditions, specific types of welding/joint preparation are sometimes required to accomplish certain completed weld scenarios. In this case, CJP(complete joint penetration)required welds, this might be one way of accomplishing this. Since this is a structural application you probably can't get away with running an open-root type of joint with E60XX series electrodes. Haven't personally heard of or seen any applications of E7010 type electrodes for this sort of thing, or know if they are allowed or could be qualified without a special allowance. Multi-process approaches can be cumbersome and likely would require special qualification as well. Similarly, if GMAW were used open-root, it would likely require special testing and documentation. So the simpler approach to this is possibly the scenario I described above or some other scenarios that will not require special qualification/testing/documentation.
     In this case, the work can likely be positioned and done with gas shielded FCAW(dualshield), so although it seems like an excessive amount of prep and fill it can really be accomplished rather quickly in the overall scheme of things. If I haven't explained this properly It's likely that others on the forum will correct me and do so in a proper manner. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 06-12-2009 10:15
Rafterwelder, the main reason we do this is becasue the welding code calls for the backing bar to be one continous piece, including the inside raduis of the corners.  The method shown above(excellent illustration by the way) is exactly how we do it.
It doesn't matter the size of the tube, but this method can be easier than trying to weld together four different pieces of bent B/B and still keeping it tight inside the raduis of the corners.  Technically when you weld together the four pieces of backing, the splices of the backing need to be pull penetration welds as well, and thats a lot of work.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 06-12-2009 17:16
Hello eekpod, thanks for the further explanation, I would imagine that others will be appreciative as well. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-12-2009 15:31
I like your approach to the problem of CJP tubular corner joints. The plate also acts to stiffen the connection (as if diagonal stiffeners were added to the ID) to keep the "box" from distorting under load.

Open root (no backing) CJP in tubulars requires both the procedure and the welders to be qualified. That is a time consuming and expensive undertaking. The use of backing eliminates the time and cost associated with the qualification of the procedure and simplifies the qualification of the welders.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-12-2009 17:19
Hello Al, thank you too for including that additional bit of information. I know I always look for more ways of explaining/understanding various situations better. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-16-2009 13:17
Allan,
We use that same approach to CJP joints such as this one....using the plate in this fashion eliminates trying to form the "impossible" continuous backing ring and all of the impossible fitup associated with the backing ring on the inside/outside corners.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-16-2009 13:39
Aevald

I suspect you will have depth-to-width ratio problems with the inside zone on the joint in your illustration.  Your included angle is too small.

Joe Kane
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 06-16-2009 14:10
Hello Joe, fortunately, I only included a sketch that is N.T.S., if this were a scale rendition of that particular joint, the angle would have to be increased as you pointed out. Best regards, Allan 
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CJP Tubular