Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / "Remember, the best weld is no weld at ?
- - By - Date 06-12-2000 02:42
I had a Liver transplant about three yrs. ago and I've been welding for over 25 yrs. I have taught in three different schools.
I certainly get a kck when I read; " Remember, the best weld, is no weld at all!!!!!" I think the persons who use this metaphor, should consider using a different one because, if you think about it !!! Not being able to trust a weld over a pop rivet or even nuts and bolts when joining 2 pieces of metal together in order to assemble any structure is ludicrist!!!!! In the perfect world, the best weld would be no weld at all but, in reality this cannot be avoided and most important of all, there would'nt be any need for welders in the first place!!!! If this were truly the case!!! Perhaps a better explanation to the context of this statement would be in order, especially for all of those confused students out there, who might not understand the rationale behind this metaphor. Any comments? Please e-mail: hanklive39@hotmail.com
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 06-12-2000 15:05
Metaphor?? I thought it was just someone being fictitious. Shucks where would be with out welders? Can you imagine trying to forge or cast some of the complex configurations they make today (how would rivet a tubular race car frame together) or maybe we should just use casting for every thing even though welded fabrications are less expensive not to mention higher quality. I wonder what the best center to center distance would be for all the rivets it would take to put a Nuke Sub together? You know!! Just to make sure it don't leak real bad when the go under the North Pole. We rebuild rotateing machinery at less than half the cost and time to replace them with weld. So I guess just maybe "Welding is better than than any thing they got todate".And besides all that Welders are some of the best people on earth.
Parent - By - Date 06-14-2000 16:56
G'S DONT GET SO DEFENSIVE. IF YOU KNOW WHAT A WELD DOES TO THE BASE METAL AT THE MICRO LEVEL YOU WOULD UNDERSTAND. WE ARE NOT IN A PERFECT CASTED WORLD SO WE MUST WELD. IF YOU CAN AVOID WELDING DO IT. SORRY IF YOU THINK I WAS ATTACKING WELDERS JUST THE OPPOSITE.

HAVE A BETTER DAY. REMEMBER "THE BEST WELD IS NO WELD AT ALL""
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / "Remember, the best weld is no weld at ?