Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Olets to B31.3
- - By A.BUDD Date 02-27-2002 02:34
I have come across a conflick in the weld of olets on a run pipe. The olets are 3-inch and the run pipe is 8-inch. The new olets we are using have a large bevel to fill with weld. Production wants to weld the bevel of the olet only to the wall thickness of the pipe. Inspection is requesting that the bevel be filled all the way as a branch conection is detailed in the B31.3. This increases the welding time and thus is not liked by production. The 31.1 addresses the issue, but the I can not find a referance to welding olets in the B31.3. Does any one know the requirements of weld olets to met B31.3 requirements?? Any help would be welcome.
Parent - - By Seldom (**) Date 02-27-2002 04:18
I’m sure they’re not happy and they’d much rather just weld a simple branch connection as shown in Fig.328.5.4D (1) and move on. Most fabricators would, but the powers to be didn’t spec that out as an option! I don’t think I’ve ever been in a shop where someone hasn’t asked me “do we have to weld this fitting all the way out?” Is the B31.3 going to tell you how much weld to apply? No it’s not, unless the design engineer wants to calculate each weld in accordance to para. 304.3.3! That’s a possibility but in my experience, not a probability.

So with that being said, do you have the correct fitting for the intended service (pressure/temperature)? I mention this because there are an array of both full size and reducing size Olet fittings that can be used depending on branch and run thickness and subsequently, the amount of weld will vary. If I remember correctly, there is also a PipeOlet (not manufactured by Bonney Forge) that many fabricators overlook or forget about that’s also an integrally reinforced fitting and very specific to the run/branch thickness. If possible to use and because of the PipeOlet’s reinforcement design, much of the weld size problem is eliminated while reinforcement requirements satisfied.

That said, Bonney Forge has a “Weldolet Installation Manual” that gives a description of applying the reinforcing beads (fill & cap) but of course, doesn’t provide any reference to a code/standard of construction.

They say as quoted:
“REINFORCING BEADS- Reinforcing welds should be made at the crotch bevel areas of the fitting to provide maximum weld at the crotch tapering to minimum at the skirt. Particular care should be taken to weld only up to the “weld line”(they reference sketch). This eliminates the unnecessary use of continuous passes and prevents the erroneous practice of welding up to the rib on the skirt portion of the fitting. A continuous cover bead should be added to fill the bevel and provide a smooth tapered weld.”

The crutch of understanding the problem is twofold-
1. The basic principles of an integrally reinforced fitting (adding mass {fitting & weld] replaces material removed {hole})
2. Why 0.7T of the branch thickness is used as the reinforcing fillet weld size as required on all B31.3 branch connections. (Reduces/breaks the stress riser condition of the branch connection)

My advice, fill the bevel out and add the reinforcing fillet as recommended by the fitting manufacturers.
Parent - By Seldom (**) Date 02-27-2002 11:44
ps,
As a tip from experience, before your people tack the Olets on, you may want to dress the bevel edge a little on a belt sander. The Olets come with quite a rounded edge and by dressing (sharpening, defining) it, could help prevent the QC from finding IP that exceeds the minimum allowance.
No use adding injury to insult!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Olets to B31.3