Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Electrical Input
- - By ctacker (****) Date 06-12-2009 17:56 Edited 06-12-2009 18:21
I just noticed our Maintenance staff has installed new power chords to some welders, They used a 10/4 600V Max Cable. I Believe its Rated at 25 Amps Max. Isn't this a little on the small side?
Were talking about Miller Dimension 652 and intelliweld 650 and Linde V1400 welders.

Edit: forgot to mention, 440V 3 phase is what we run.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-12-2009 18:29
Hello Carl, I'm not an electrician, however from my experiences in being around quite a bit of that sort of thing, that wouldn't be the best way to address the situation. Depending upon the run length of these cords and the amp loads that they will be seeing on the machines, meaning: whether you are using the full range of power that the machines are capable of producing, you could end up over-heating the cords and possibly experiencing performance issues with the welding machines due to a lack of sufficient input voltage/amperage. I know that this sort of thing is done in many situations, yet when there is an opportunity to do it right the first time it doesn't make sense to take a short-cut like that. You might explain to them that if they take a look at the operational manual for these machines they will find that their selection of wire size doesn't meet the requirements listed there. If you don't have the manuals, you can get access to them readily at www.millerwelds.com. Good luck and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 06-12-2009 19:28
Exactly what I was thinking Allen, thanks for the link, I will have to look it up when time allows.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-12-2009 22:50
Hello again Carl, I did a quick check on the Dimension 652, the information from Miller suggest #6 wire as the proper size for that machine. Regards, Allan
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 06-13-2009 06:03
Thanks Allen, I been nagging the company about getting our maintenance crew some electrician training or hiring one. I had my computer on the same outlet as the microwave upstairs, and every lunch it would trip the breaker, after repeated complaints from me, the maintenance fixed the problem by adding a larger breaker. after more complaints about them not knowing what they were doing, the reistalled the smaller breaker and took out the Microwave. (I wish it were that easy to fix)

These guys when I asked how many amps the 10/4 was good for, they scratched their heads and said they would find out. they had no clue. after doing some more investigating today, I found 1 cable that was coiled very tight(I assume from overheating) it looks like it was coiled around a 2" pipe very tight. and the inside wires are bulging in the insulation.

All I can continue to do is send emails and hope something comes of it, but if they wait till something happens, at least I can say I told you so and hope no one gets hurt!

Regards, Carl
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Electrical Input