Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / interpass temperature
- - By Rauge Date 06-12-2009 19:28
Is there a procedure specified anywhere to define where to check the interpass temperature ow a weld?  I have had some engineers tell me to check it within 1/2" of the last deposited weld bead and other engineers are telling me to check it 1" from the top edge of the weld joint.  Thanks in advance for any clarifying help.
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-12-2009 21:12
D1.1:2008 Clause 5.6

"This preheat and all subsequent minimum interpass temperatures shall be maintained during the welding operation for a distance at least equal to the thickness of the thickest part welded part (but not less than 3 inches) in all directions from the point of welding."

If that is the Code being used.  But the engineer is "always right".
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-13-2009 04:06 Edited 06-13-2009 04:13
Different codes handle it differently. There is no procedure in them, just some language pertaining to distance as Bryon stated.
I might add, keep in mind interpass is just that, INTERPASS. Temp stick or pyrometer verification alone doesn' t cause many problems with verification but a chart recorder can. A chart recorder, depending upon where your thermocouples are located can vary your 'real' preheat and reduce windows, if using preheats and interpass maximums. In other words, as the material temp increases or decreases it takes time for it to conduct to the the thermocouple so you have to anticipate when the temp will be reached or your recorder will show you violated the required temp. you have to accomodate, i.e., emphasize the idea of INTERPASS.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 06-13-2009 13:25
The purpose of the interpass temperature restrictions in various codes is to ensure that the properties of the material being welded are not adversely affected by the welding process.  when I am checking interpass temps, I take several readings in different areas of the joint, and if any reading is out of the specified range, I don't lay the next pass.
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 06-15-2009 13:01
Seems like minimum preheat is the same as minimum interpass temperature, unless the WPS defines it separately. 

My question is the temerature location measurement at "but not less than 3-inches" part.  I think the intent of the code section cited is that the base metal is adequately heated, and must be at minimum preheat (or minimum interpass) temperature measured not less than 3-inches away from the weld.

So should this "not less than 3-inch" also apply to measuring the MAXIMUM interpass temperature as well?  I agree with bozaktwo, I usually measure max interpass temperature right at the joint, and not 3-inches away.  Three inches away could be a big difference on some of our applications.
Parent - - By Nanjing Date 06-15-2009 14:31
Measure minimum and maximum interpass temp. on the weld where u are going to deposit the next weld bead. Preheat is measured on the parent material, 75mm according to EN standards. Totally different preheat and interpass temps.
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 06-15-2009 15:25
I guess it depends on what code the work is to.  If this is an AWS compliance question, I disagree with measuring minimum interpass temp "on the weld" as you say.  I think Bryon cited the D1.1 correctly to require one to measure minimum interpass temp not closer than 3-inches from the weld, and not on the weld.

As far as saying "totally different, preheat and interpass temps", The D1.1 also says that minimum preheat and minimum interpass temperature shall be considered equal (unless otherwise indicated on the WPS).

I do measure max interpass temp on the weld, but is there a code statement that supports where to measure that, or is it just standard practice?
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 06-16-2009 12:14 Edited 06-16-2009 12:20
Bill M,
Preheat and minimum interpass temperature can be the same temperature but they are not the same thing.
Lets say for example we are welding a 6" Sch 120 pipe A106 pipe welded with SMAW in the 5G position.
The PQR coupon is to be qualified with 50 degrees celcius preheat (I am using all hypothetical temperatures)
The welder preheats the pipe and when it is at least 50 degrees celcius measured at least 3" from the weld (D1.1) all around the pipe it is ready to weld. (1" for B31.3)
If it has been preheated correctly the material will measure approx 50 degrees 3" to the left of the weld, at the weld and 3" to the right of the weld.
The welder puts in the first weld pass bottom to top.
The temp on the weld is 70 degrees celcius on the weld at the bottom - this is recorded on the PQR as the first interpass temperature
The material 3" away from the weld will still be above the 50 degree preheat temp.
The second weld pass is put in by the welder.
Now the temp measured at the bottom on the weld is 85 degrees celcius - this is recorded on the PQR as the second interpass temperature.
Still above the original preheat 50 degrees measured 3" from the weld.
The welder increases his amps and starts filling the weld with increasingly larger weaves.
The interpass temperatures keep going up and up and they are recorded on the PQR - lets say 200 degrees celcius maximum.
The temperature at the weld will always be well above the 50 degree preheat temp so that is no problem.
The PQR will now read
Preheat temperature - 50 degrees minimum
Minimum interpass temperature - 70 degrees minimum
Maximum Interpass temperature - 200 degrees maximum

If any pass is measured at the bottom of the pipe on the weld and it is less than 70 degrees before welding starts it must be heated up to more than 70 degrees.
If any pass is measured at the bottom of the pipe on the weld and it is more than 200 degrees before welding starts then it must be allowed to cool to less than 200 degrees.

You will always have unavoidable interruptions like meal breaks, extended smoko breaks or even end of shift and that is why thermocouples are used on critical piping / structures so the minimum temperature is kept constant for the whole weld.
Hope I have explained it OK,
Cheers,
Shane
Parent - - By Rauge Date 06-15-2009 18:02
I should have been more clear, I am looking at max interpass temp, where to check it
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-15-2009 20:41
I suppose it could be argued that max interpass should generally be verified for the weld metal. The concern is most often either a transformation of microstructure as in P91 or hot cracking as in Ni alloys or fully austenitic stainless steels like 310. But it depends on the alloy. In some cases it just may not be that critical.
Its an engineering judgment. Just ain't no way to get around that pesky idea.
Parent - - By mightymoe (**) Date 06-15-2009 23:22
It depends on what code your using, and  thickness of material.
We weld mainly sch 20 to sch 120 pipe. We check it 1" from the weld.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-16-2009 15:40 Edited 06-16-2009 19:15
The applicable welding standard should state where both preheat and interpass temperatures are measured. Some welding standards are more definitive than others. In some cases, the type of base metals being welded, etc. the interpass temperature may not be a major concern.

When the welding standard does not provide the necessary information, best judgement comes into play. I usually look to a welding standard or code that is recognized by industry for guidance. For me, that means I go to either AWS D1.1, D1.2, D1.6, or NAVSEA TP278 or 1688 for guidance.

When the information is not provided, I typically measure the preheat a distance equal to the thickness of the thicker base metal away from the anticipated toe of the weld, i.e. edge of the groove or toe of the fillet weld, but not less than 3 inches away from the toe of the weld. Interpass temperature is usually measured about one inch from the location where the next weld pass will be initiated just before initiating the weld. I do not measure where the weld was just terminated nor do I measure in the groove or on the weld because there is the potential for contaminating that location, especially a problem if temperature indicating crayons are used.

The welding code or standard prevails, if it is stated where the temperatures are to be measured, that is what I do. If there is a question as to where they are to be measured, I try to refer to some standard recognized by the industrial sector I am working with.

A short story on the subject of discussion. Back in the days when welding was just invented, I was welding on a moment connection in the field. As I terminated the weld the inspector ran up behind me, reached over my shoulder and rubbed his temperature indicating crayon (Tempil Stick to the novice) on the weld crater and pronounced the weld as "Rejected!"

"What the hxll are you doing?" I asked him.

"Checking your interpass temperature and you're way too high! So, I'm rejecting it!" he replied with a big grin.

"I guess I'm all done here!" I quipped. "Hey, boss, get my money, we're all done welding on this job!" I yelled to the foreman.

"What the hxll are you talking about Moore?" the foreman yelled back.

"This inspector says we can't weld on this steel." I said with a smirk.

"I didn't say that!" yelped the inspector. "I told Moore the interpass temperature was exceeded, so the weld is rejected!"

"Get the carbon arc ready. I'm going to have to cut out all the welds. This inspector caught me dead to rights! All these welds exceeded the interpass temperature so we better tell the engineer so we can get'em fixed. We'll probably have to glue'em together!" I yelled to the foreman.

Now you have to know the foreman and I had worked many jobs together and he was one of my mentors when it came to welding. His brother was professor of Metallurgy at Worcester Polytechnic Institute that answered our never ending stream of questions about welding metallurgy, so my good friend knew right away I was up to something and when along with my lead.

"Yep, we got caught with our pants around our ankles on this one!"  he yelled back with a big grin on his face.

By now the inspector was getting a bit unnerved. What are these Ironworkers talking about? Why are they saying they are going to cut out all the welds? He didn't reject all the welds!

"I only rejected Moore's weld. He exceeded the interpass temperature, so it's rejected. I didn't say anything about the other welds!" he said.

To that I said, "How hot do you think these welds get?

"I don't know, but they can't get any hotter than the maximum interpass temperature!" he replied.

"That's what I'm driving at. The maximum temperature pass is well below the melting temperature of the steel. That must mean all the welds are rejected because all of them exceeded the interpass temperature!" I said.

By now my foreman was nearly ready to roll off the iron trying not to laugh.

"OK, what am I missing here?" asked the inspector.

"Interpass temperature is measured just before starting the next pass. It is a way of limiting the width of the heat affected zone and the problems associated with grain coarsening and loss of toughness. The weld has to be hotter than the melting point of the base metal inorder to get fusion. When the upper interpass temperature is exceeded, you simply wait until it cools off below the maximum interpass temperature listed on the WPS." I told him.

By now all the welder are laughing and the inspector didn't know if I was serious or just pulling his leg. Off he goes to the job office where he calls his office and gets the "low down" from his boss.

When he comes back he says, "You got me good on that one, but I'll catch you yet. One of these days you're going to fxxk up and its my job to catch you!"

"Good luck buddy, you're going to have to do some more reading before that will happen." I said with a grin.

Now you have to understand that this is the same inspector that I had previously told, "You can't do MT on a weld unless it's still red hot! The defects won't show up. See, the magnetic powder won't stick to the welds because they're already cooled off"

He got a real axx chewing when he told his boss none of the defects would show up because the welds were too cold.

It was great sport to screw with the inspectors that shouldn't have been on the job to begin with. What a turn of events, now I'm one of the enemy!

Best regards - Al
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-16-2009 19:40
That is priceless Al!! LOL :-)
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-16-2009 19:46
Sweet.  :-)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-17-2009 04:15
Now You know what You will have to put up with when You get Your CWI job.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-17-2009 11:28
Exactly!.....LOL...great story AL.....I'll have to make sure that I have my stuff in order before I come inspect behind you on the next job ;-)
<got my code book under my arm as I type this>....LOL
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-19-2009 00:50
Al,

All I can say is, 'What goes around, Comes around'.  You gave it, now you get it.  Don't we all.  Just stepped into a dandy myself.  At least their pre-heat and interpass temps aren't the problem.

Nothing to add to some of the great responses already posted.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-19-2009 12:51
If I might throw a little fly in the ointment here. The farther away from the HAZ that you measure interpass temp the more meaningless it becomes. Maximum inteprass temp controls are in place for the weld and HAZ. This is not exclusively the case with mins especially related to hydrogen induced cracking where adequate heat in a distance away from the HAZ only enhances the evolution of hydrogen away from the weldment. But it all depends as well on the temperature gradient transverse to the weld. If there is 50 deg difference between the distance you have measured and HAZ, or the weld itself, just how important is this to you?
Parent - By Richard Cook (**) Date 07-28-2009 20:42
AWS D1.1 does not address the maximum end of interpass temperature but you do find in AWS D1.8 a required standard which states that the measurement is to be taken at aminimum 1 inch to a maximum of 3 inchs from the weld for their max interpass temp.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / interpass temperature