Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 798 test
- - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 06-17-2009 03:16
I just recently sent off my app to join the 798. I was wondering the test says it a 24 in .500 wall. Is that bevel at 33*? And is there a time limit to it?
Parent - - By bullsnbets (**) Date 06-17-2009 03:33
Good questions. I take my Union test July 9th.
Parent - - By gotpipe597 (**) Date 06-17-2009 03:55
There is no time limit. You tack up with the union's machines while using a internal clamp (You must preheat before u tack)They check your pipe after you put your bead in. They allow you to make repairs (to a point). They check u again after hot... Then take a look at it after you cap it. NO REPAIRS ON THE CAP....MAKE SURE YOU ARE ABOVE FLUSH... Any other questions let me know.. Bryan K
Parent - By ruero (**) Date 06-17-2009 04:09
I think it was  37.5 on the bevel. They are machined, you just put your land on, they fit it to nickel gap and you use 5/32 for the bead. Bryan said the rest, and they cut your straps and bend and break. Just take your time, bunch of good guys to help you out.

Good luck, see you on the line
Parent - - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 06-17-2009 13:48
do they make you use your own rose bud to preheat or they have all that for you? all you have to do is show up with ur rig and hood?
Parent - - By vantage500man (**) Date 06-17-2009 15:10
Hi guys, I know how to weld pipe good but have always worked for my self on jobs I contracted so I have no way to prove I have the experience on pipe so Mr. Hendrix sent my appt. back say I don't meet there welder criteria for a welder. This sucks so I put in for a helper with no word yet if any body has any info on who might help me get in as a helper I would take a step back to get in to that union no problem... Any help would be grateful I am in absolutely dire straight here in Mi need to get out
Parent - - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 06-17-2009 19:15
they will get helpers in as needed. so they might need any helpers till say sept. then they call as needed.
   just trying to say, they call helpers as they need them from what the paper said.
Parent - - By HillbillyWelder (**) Date 06-17-2009 22:29
My app for helper has been in Tulsa since last september, Your best bet is, if you know a welder in the 798 you could out with them as there helper if the Welder Forman can hire contractors(meaning you as a helper), if not then have them call you when they are hurtin for helpers. Thats what Im tryin to do. From what I have heard is there is half the work as last year and twice as many people as last year. basicly you pretty much have to know somebody to get in this union.     Let me know what you what you hear, Im dying to get on the pipeline
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 06-18-2009 00:03
i sent my app in, im not to sure they will hire me as a welder. so there is this man donald ray talking to his buddys bout getting me on. hes been in 30 years and hes trying to get me a book. at this point i dont care what it is, long as i can get a foot into the door just when they shut it, i hope they dont slam it
Parent - By tighand430 (***) Date 06-18-2009 17:19
If a you know a 798 welder, the best way to get in would be for him to take you out as his helper if he can. That or talk to the welder foreman an try to hire on that way. They are projecting about 8 million man hours this year where there was about 11 million or so last year. There's still a pretty good ammount of work, it's just that they organized in so many last year that they have alot on the books. But on the "bright" side, there are alot of welders that are gonna be retiring here in a couple years. I know the building trades part of the UA is really dreading it causethere aren't enough of us younger guys gettin in to replace all the older ones gettin ready to go.
Parent - - By pipe hand (*) Date 06-19-2009 13:13
I think tradesman has some thing in midland MI
Parent - By bushelbasket Date 06-20-2009 04:10
Yes tradesman does have a couple of companys that they are suppying pipefitters and pipewelders, welders are at 25 perhour and 55  perdeim
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 798 test