Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Filler Metal Selector Guide
- - By liftedpowerstro (*) Date 06-17-2009 15:10
I'm trying to find out how to determine the correct filler metal for a specific job....I've racked my brain on looking in to the P Numbers, F Numbers, Group numbers...SFA numbers... and still am stumped.
On this paticular job we are using a A-182  304H SS material...
I'm sure i can use a ER308H....But I want to prove that i can...How can Prove this? I was also told I can use a regular ER308....
My question is how do i determine what filler metal to use on a 304H SS material....
All help appreciated...
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-17-2009 15:32
Hello liftedpowerstro, if you google the particular material type you are using you will probably come up with some sites that will give the particulars on which grade/type of filler metal that can be used. At that point you would need to determine the service of the material to select the proper one of those listed. In many cases the engineer on the project should have already called that out. Is this possibly a repair/modification scenario? A little bit to ponder. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By liftedpowerstro (*) Date 06-17-2009 15:40
yea allen, this is a repair scenario.....3/4" Plug in a thread o let that has been back welded... we will be removing all the weld on the back welded part and re'weld....High Temperature process line on Heater....
Thanks.
Parent - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 06-17-2009 17:41
There are a multitude of filler metal selection guides published by consumable manufacturers.  Check out this one, from Avesta:
http://www.avestawelding.com/4032.epibrw

As you will see, down near the bottom, 308H is indeed the recommended filler for 304H base materials.

Good luck.
Parent - - By weldgault (**) Date 06-28-2009 23:23
H = High Carbon, which is different from "L" or just 308.  Check the chemestry.  JG
Parent - - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 07-03-2009 01:45
The "H" in the 308H technically indicates a "controlled" carbon content, with the AWS Specifications stating 0.04 to 0.08% and the product analysis yielding 0.05% carbon.  The "normal" 308 specification calls for 0.08% maximum carbon content, with no minimum given.  The product analysis for 308 is normally 0.05%, but could technically be 0.03% or even less.

This filler provides more robust mechanical properties in higher temperature applications, because of the increase carbon content.
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 07-14-2009 12:01
If you want proof...as in your customer doesn’t believe you...try this. 

Go to Harris' website.  They have a chat feature where you can type in your questions and they'll type out their responses.  Be specific.  Tell them exactly what you're doing and how you're doing it.  I print off the entire conversation as "proof."  They also have a 800 number on their most of their product boxes.  I'm sure most filler metal manufactures have similar services.

Good Luck,

Keith 
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Filler Metal Selector Guide