Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / CuAl-A2 overlay on Nitronic 60 base.
- - By jarcher (**) Date 06-17-2009 21:05
I've got a need to do an odd ball overlay on Nitronic 60 base metal of CuAl-A2. Anybody have any experience with this cladding combo? Or something relatively close, such as Nitronic 50? I'm presently thinking it should work without much trouble, but I've had past instances where my imagenings haven't worked so well in practice. Anybody with any experience? Lacking experience - some sound reasoning why cladding with these materials might run into trouble. I intend to use GMAW, 0.035 wire, with ArHe shielding gas.
Parent - By Steve.E (**) Date 06-18-2009 11:02
Hi jarcher , Have had considerable experience with Alum. Bronze. overlay on carbon steel but none on Nitronic 60.  Ill stick my neck out and say that a mix of copper and chromium
  is going to be fraught with danger..  We generally run straight Argon however your choice of Ar He should be no trouble as long as you can keep dilution to a minimum.
Good luck and let us know how you get on..
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 06-18-2009 12:42
I would be nervous about the copper chrome combo.  In some of our copper to stainless welds in the past we were stopped by severe cracking.  We did wind up with a silicon bronze TIG-braze method that worked.  Of course, I am not familiar with your cladding material and you might get away with it since it is not straight copper.
Parent - - By jarcher (**) Date 06-18-2009 15:44
Thanks to both of you for your replies. Yes stainlesses are somewhat uneven with CuAl. 316L seems to have no problem, but I've tried 17-4 in the past and had problems with what looked to be hot short cracking in the 17-4. I suppose the safest way to proceed is to put down a layer of 316L, which I know has no problems with the Nitronic and then start the CuAl. Anyway, thanks again, seems I dodged the bullet this time, engineering decided to sleeve the parts instead of cladding them.
Parent - By Steve.E (**) Date 06-19-2009 10:28
A sleeve!  Your a lucky boy , wish your engineers could talk to my engineers . :)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / CuAl-A2 overlay on Nitronic 60 base.