Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Safety Glasses With Readers
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-19-2009 23:30 Edited 06-20-2009 02:39
While down in Phoenix doing some inspections I determined that I needed a new pair of safety glasses.  I generally use regular safety glasses in clear, slightly tinted, and a pair rated for #3 burning.  I also have my prescription glasses made as safety glasses but I hate the goofy side shields.  I only need glasses for reading smaller print. I can even still pass the CWI eye exam without wearing them.  But for some things it is difficult to see clearly without my prescription glasses instead of plain safety glasses.

So, I generally wear regular safety glasses for good eye protection with the wrap around formed glasses.  When really needed I temporarily replace those with my prescription glasses while reading some prints, doing fine layout, looking at welds in difficult positions where you can't get a comfortable distance for focus, or a lot of reading. 

Back to my main point,  I went in to get new glasses and while looking through the rack I noticed something strange.  I picked them up and sure enough, they had a small 'bifocal' section at the lower edge.  And it comes in different magnifications.  For this old man that was great.  I have a slight astigmatism and only need minor correction for reading.  These do a great job.  They look good, provide good protection, and let me read without carrying and changing glasses.

Made by PYRAMEX and labeled as 'V2 Readers'.  Hope others may find this beneficial.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 06-22-2009 02:16
Brent, I was at the welding supply the other day and picked up a pair of clear safety glasses. Didn't notice until the next day that these had the magnified section. (proof that i need glasses) I agree, better that carrying a second pair with you.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-23-2009 01:45
Tim,

Especially at the price I paid they are so much better than using my prescription glasses.  Cheaper, better protection, and the added vision I need at times.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By thcqci (***) Date 07-02-2009 19:35
We supply safety glasses to our floor personnel.  For about 3 years, we have the option of providing these "readers" to the people who really need them, such as fitters, welders and detail makers (anyone needing to read or see finer details).  They have powers from 1.5 to 3, clear and tinted.  At about $8, they are relatively inexpensive compared to real glasses.  Pyramex and Olympic have been the 2 brands we have provided. http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/pyramex1-rendezvous-readers.html

For any people that need prescription saftey glasses in a more conventional wrap around configuration, go to SafeVision (http://www.safevision.net/sportglasses/sportlead.html).  I have worn these for 2½ years and just sent my frame back to get new lens put in them.  Much better than those glasses with blinders, uh sideshields.  I wear them for shooting also.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-05-2009 00:42
Thanks for the info there thcqci.  One of the reasons I was so glad to find these was the difficulty in finding good safety glasses that I could get my prescription in.

Have a Great 4th,  Brent
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 07-06-2009 00:41
I have tried the bifocal safety glasses, don't care for them. Walking on rebar mats, decking, etc. seems kind of unsteady with them on.  I just keep a pair of cheaters in shirt pocket and put them on when looking at plans, or welds.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-06-2009 00:51
Duke,

I guess since my prescription glasses are progressive bifocals already, I'm used to walking without trying to look through the bottom of my glasses.  Either tilt your head more, or don't look down.  I don't watch the ground while walking and hunting, but I don't fall down every other step.

Thanks for the input though.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 07-20-2009 13:38
I've worn the V2 Readers for quite a while and really llike them.   It sure beats carrying a pair of cheaters and swapping glasses all the time. Although my correction is very slight, more and more customers are moving away from full size shop drawings to the 8-1/2" X 14" format.

I did see some "stick-on" magnyfing tapes at the safety store, for adding to brands of glasses that did not offer the bi-focal lenses.  They were rectangular and came is several strengths.

~thirdeye~
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Safety Glasses With Readers