Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pipeline specs wanted?
- - By mcostello (**) Date 06-22-2009 02:37
Live in OHIO The Big Inch pipeline took some of the farm years ago, we just missed the new Rockies Express from taking some more this year. Brings up the questions, What is working pressure for pipe like this?
What is volume in cfm?
What is speed of gas through pipe? Seems like 60 mph would not be much.
Inquiring minds got to know?
Parent - By ruero (**) Date 06-22-2009 04:03
You can do a search on "Rockies Express Pipeline" and get info and specs. The (MAOP) maximum allowable operating pressure for the REX pipeline would 1480psi. and is designed to transport 1.8 billion cubic feet of natural gas per day.
Parent - By dfwpipeliner (**) Date 06-22-2009 13:55
Although a lot of pipelines have a MAOP of 1480 psi, They are hydro-tested above 2000psi and run aroun 1100-1300psi. I recently worked on a 36" line that was being run at 1167psi.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 06-22-2009 17:40
Knowing the design flow rate (1.8 billion cubic feet per day), knowing that one day has 24 hours and a hour has 3,600 seconds and knowing the pipe diameter, which I don't know, it's easy to figure out the gas speed within the pipe, which is expressed in feet per second, not miles per hour. 
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By tighand430 (***) Date 06-22-2009 22:08
They was testin that line to about 2500 or so from what my friend was sayin but know it was 2000+. They usually test to 1 1/2 times working pressure. He oughtta know, he was on the testing crew. I know in northern IL, we was testin our lines at around the same or a lil higher so I wouldn't worry too much about it rupturing any time soon unless there's a defect in the pipe wall away from the weld.
Parent - - By mcostello (**) Date 06-23-2009 03:03
Hokey smokes Bullwinkle I did not think it was that much-WOW!
Parent - - By tighand430 (***) Date 06-23-2009 18:42
Working pressure oughtta be somewhere around 1500psi or so. It sounds like alot but consider that hp main steam lines in power houses run at a workin pressure of around 2000 psi then it's not bad.
Parent - By mcostello (**) Date 06-24-2009 03:06
Thanks Giovanni, but if I knew how to do that much math I would not have to ask.:) I am barely experienced enough to know which end of the rod goes in the stinger.Why the other day I was weldin' on the hay baler and someone walked by and said that rod needs to be run in reverse! So I tried putting the rod in backwards but it would not make sparks anymore. So we thought it over and tried to change the cables around, maybe this is what he meant, it took quite a while to find a peice small enough to get the black clamp to stay on. Tried to put the rod in shiney clamp but it kept wiggling loose, so we put rod in c clamp then clamped on that. was good but was getting tingles from arm, will have to figure that out tomorrow.:) :).  Pipe dia is 42"
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pipeline specs wanted?