Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding with contact lenses???
- - By Goose (**) Date 03-03-2002 19:01
I have recently read a post on a general automotive site with a statement I've never heard before. Here's a clip of what this person stated...

"THE UV LIGHT CAN CAUSE THE CONTACT LENSES TO FUSE THEMSELVES TO THE SURFACE OF YOUR EYES, EVEN WITH THE PROPER SHADE WELDING LENS.

WHEN WELDING, YOU SHOULD ALWAYS REMOVE YOUR CONTACTS AND USE REGULAR EYEGLASSES."

Is there any truth to this? I already wear contacts that have a UV filtering coating on them. In addition, I'm a hobbyist and usually don't weld for laong periods at a time.

Any thoughts?
Todd G
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 03-03-2002 23:19
Not true.

Thats what the Welding Filter is all about, removeing harmful radiation.

Welding is tuff on the eyes but the new solid state filters are adjustable to the needs of the welder.
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 03-04-2002 09:17
I think possibly inadvertantly looking at the light for prolonged periods.
Parent - By Wildturkey (**) Date 03-04-2002 12:51
Goose,
You need to read the AWS article on contact lens wear. I wear contacts and have never had a problem. Check out this link:
www.aws.org/amwelder/7-00/contact.html
It should answer all of your questions.
Parent - By don (**) Date 03-04-2002 19:56
Read an OSHA article on this about a year ago. NO factual basis what-so-ever. My guess is a long time ago when contacts first came out a welder got a spark in his eye and it hit his contact which could indeed cause it to melt to the pupil. Then the story got bigger and bigger and here we are!!!
Parent - By ross (***) Date 03-12-2002 15:36
AWS has a safety sheet about contact lenses in a free .pdf download at http://www.aws.org/technical/FACT-PDF.EXE/SNH.HTM . Download #12
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding with contact lenses???