Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Underwater welding - electrodes
- - By wiewior Date 06-27-2009 22:16
Hi, I'm looking for information about differents between composition of normal welding electrodes end underwater welding electrodes. I know that uw-electrode has to be waterproof... :] 

Jack
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 06-28-2009 18:42
Benjamin Moore Spar Varnish is typically used for waterproofing.  You have to make a rack to hang the electrodes vertical and dip them.  Then clean off the tips so they will strike.  Otherwise, they are the same electrodes normally used in air.  Here's a link to good info:

http://www.supsalv.org/pdf/cut_weld.pdf
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 07-01-2009 22:39
Most commercially available electrodes have a beeswax coating, there's one that has a pvc coating.  Then there are those companies that dip their rods in their own blend of chemicals.  Now the flux composition, that depends on whose electrode that you're talking about.  Commercially available rods are generally a topside electrode, some companies have their rod manufactured with some different ingredients.  The main concern with underwater welding is hydrogen entrapment.

Charles Welch
Parent - By Len Andersen (***) Date 10-01-2009 18:46
Fellow AWS'ers
     Read D3.6 is a start point. In wet welding when I messed with market available electrodes about thirty years ago they were 6013's with polyester coating and the betters one ESAB 7014's with epoxy. Underwater welding is something I have five patents in, been recognized as a world-class expert in and I have worked in the management in the company that had the world’s largest diving contract for the world’s largest petroleum producing company and am a trained marine diver engineer CWI. There is other product besides mine. Be careful of there test data it is ideal conditions with little to do with making a real world underwater weld.  I hope this is helpful.
                        Sincerely
                               Len Andersen BSChE CWI
                                    914-237-7689
                                        212-839-6599
                                          212-839-4042 FAX

www.lenandersen.com

POB 1529 / NYC 10116 ( $990 per year Caller
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Underwater welding - electrodes