Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Deck Welding in cold weather
- - By MikeK Date 03-05-2002 17:46
I'm on a project that requires me to visually inspect (contractors' QC)the arc spot welding (puddle welds) on the floor and roof deck. I am fimiliar with the with the D1.3 requirements for size and minimum re-inforcement above the sheet metal and the requirement to increase the welding parameters when welding below 32*F ( increasing welding time 20% or increasing welding amperage 10%). However, I have an Owner's inspection agency (QA) that is making a big over pre-heating of the structural steel. We have informed the QA that this is not commomly done, but to no avail. They now have the structural engineer involved and they want a letter stating that pre-heat is not required and why.
We have pointed out to them that this is mention in D1.3 and in the commentary, but apparently nobody can read or is willing to take the time to read D1.3 (I even copied the pages and gave it to them).
Any comments and /or suggestions on how to handle this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 03-06-2002 06:26
Sounds like if he is going to make a big deal about it lat the engineer deal with it. That is about all you can do. Make sure your documentation states the parameters and conditions of the welding.

Hope that helps.

Brian Maas

Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Deck Welding in cold weather