Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / NYC Crane Collapse
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-05-2009 17:39
Did anyone read this article about the NYC crane collapse that happened last year?

I don't usually bash companies just because of their location. I usually bash the negligent owners that purchased the equipment and didn't check the workmanship. However, China has worked hard to earned its poor reputation.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/05/31/2009-05-31_new_york_crane_was_warned_on_weld_a_year_before_collapse.html

Best regards - Al
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 07-05-2009 19:24
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-05-2009 22:55
Al,
Start rant:
  I am more upset with the actions and decisions of New York Crane than I am with the China based company. Now this does not, in my mind, relieve the China based company of their part in this, but it includes New York Crane in the scenario. When it comes to the China based company, well... if you throw enough cash at a dumb ass he will do something dumb, plain and simple.

I read this as New York Crane throwing more money at them to do the job because if New York Crane were to have done it the cost would have been much more than even the extra they offered. They pawned off responsibility and overall quality of the job to save a few bucks and pass on the one buck that was left.

This is one of the things that gives me a serious case of the red ass. As soon as they said " Weld no good boss" "we can no do good job" ziiipp, we are done. Find someone who can do it right or bite the bullet (which is now worth more than the dollar) and fix it yourselves. Yeah you will have to pay a little extra, what with the confidence of a proven procedure with qualified welders and an accredited quality system but hey, we might not be discussing this now if that had been done.

Rant over:

God Bless America!!

jrw159
Parent - By cwf07 (***) Date 07-06-2009 01:38
Welding on crane boom is tricky its something you can not be in no hurry. It take me 8hrs just to cut out and put back 4 to 5 lacing. The tricky part is cutting the lacing so when you fit it up you don't see day light in your joints. I still worry about the crane operator doing he's not suppose too. I was on a job a few months welding metal shell pile on a bridge they drive concrete pile on other bents well they had problems with some of the piles breaking so they had to pull them out. I was working about 100ft from were they were pulling pile the pile was in a wet area and in the ground about 30ft they had 1 crane hooked to the pile with a big chocker and a the other crane with a big auger thing to drill beside the pile to get the suckion to break lose. Well the big chocker broke and it tore up a section of boom. They asked me if I could fix it 1st I ask how much a new section would cost from keblco they said about $12,000 dollars I said yes I can fix it for $22,000 dollars because I will go buy a new section from keblco and pocket the rest.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / NYC Crane Collapse