Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller HF
- - By tazmannusa (**) Date 07-05-2009 22:30
Hello All
I have like 0 experiance tigging, anyway I hooked up the ol miller HF-15-1  to a dialarc AC/DC. Using 3/32" pure tungston streight argon and around 140 amps AC. on 1/8" aluminum, I have to have the HF setting up to max to get it to work and even at that somtimes it wont initiate the arc, when it is working and I have a nice clean ball on the tungston its actualy spitting bits of tungston to the metal when I first initiate the arc leaving little black spots on the surface which are actualy deep pits. This is not normal is it ?  After its going things seem to be ok. I was starting the arc off to one side so's not to contaminate the weld but now after cleaning up the welds I have nice ugly pitted areas next to where ever I started the welds.
Any advice would be apreciated
Tom
Parent - - By cwi49cwe (*) Date 07-06-2009 01:23
TOM,   I've encountered simuliar problems with those old TIG machines, the main problem is the old Dial Arc machines do not have square wave arc design and in those older machines do not have a real good HF arc compared to the modern machines. There are some things you can try, first and foremost is cleanliness in TIG welding aluminum is the single most important step, a clean stainless steel brush is mandatory!!!!!!! Don't forget to clean your filler metal ( with 00 grade stainless steel wool )and a clean shield cup as well. I also had a better chance at a stable arc and better tungsten ampacity with 1 or 2% TH and balling the tip, 3/32 dia.. At those amperages you should not have any arc starting problems, Check the gap in your HF unit, take them out , clean ( with 220 or 260 grit emery cloth )and reinstall, I believe the gap is .050 inches, you might want to consider using a run tab at the weld start, at half your weld amperage, start the arc and use the HF to give your weld one last cleaning before starting the weld. If you have the opportunity, try Argon 75 - Helium 25%. You can get more heat to the weld and travel faster because of the properties of the Helium in a welding arc. Helium is an excellant conductor of heat. The main consideration is I don't know all your welding variables and do not have and accurate evaluation of everything.    Hope this helps in some small way, work at it ............
Parent - By tazmannusa (**) Date 07-06-2009 02:19
Many thanks  cwi and Dave
I did reset the gap to .008" and clean them a bit but didnt take them out or clean the insde, I will do that first.
Hopefully I can get it working,  I would like to get a new one but thats a big chunk of change for something I dont use to often.
I have had this HF for about 15 years and this is the first time trying to actualy use it.
  Tom
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-06-2009 01:44
Here is a link for the manual for the HF-15-1:  http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o610g_mil.pdf

You will find a section on cleaning the points & setting the gap, .008". Clean all the dust & dirt out of the HF unit to reduce HF leakage to ground as much as possible. If it still has poor performance the HF caps might be shot.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller HF