Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Can a CWI test or use stamp for personal documentation?
- - By Glassboy Date 07-07-2009 02:39
I just becamem aCWI, Im a Glazier by trade, but also a welder. I teach a welding program for our apprentice program and was wondering if you were able to stamp wps, or other weld documents in your name, if all proper steps were followed. Could you as a CWI qualify yourself? All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-07-2009 04:24
Developing a WPS is beyond the scope of work the CWI is responsible for (AWS B5.1 Table 1). That isn't to say a CWI cannot develop a WPS, simply, it is not expected that every CWI has the training or experience to properly develop a WPS.

As for documenting the PQR, how do you propose to weld the test coupon and monitor the welding parameters, i.e., voltage, amperage, travel speed, etc. (as you weld)? If that is in fact what you are in essence asking us.

The CWI's task is to verify the approved WPS is followed by welders doing the work.

As for qualifying yourself as a welder, that is some very thin ice to be treading on.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By strat (**) Date 07-08-2009 01:56
Al, im glad you brought that up(AWS B5.1), I develope wps's and am a CWI, a colleague of mine stated that under B5.1, Procedure Qualification, (7) develope welding procedures, that only a SCWI is the only one that can do so.

Welding inspection Capabilities Based on Qualification Level, I think the main word is Capabilities, thats to say if a CWI is capabale of developing weld procedures he shall do so and a SCWI shall be able to do so.

Strat
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Can a CWI test or use stamp for personal documentation?