Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Watch were you stand
- - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-07-2009 13:22
Alright, so I have finally come to the point where I can laugh with you guys at myself. Sunday I was out doing some light pole inspections and I was working on a baseball field. I got around to the right field light pole. Nice grassy area, beautiful over cast day, nice and cool. Bear in mind this is not a construction site and safety is a pretty easy deal. I am wearing a tank top, shorts and sandals, no not flip flops, sandals. Probably not the best things to wear but the only things I have to worry about as far as dropping something on my toes are the smallest little ball peen hammer and a spray can of PT dye, cleaner or developer. Not real high on my list. HOWEVER, while I am standing there doing my visual inspection, my right foot starts to itch. I am thinking it is just the grass. Shortly after that, VERY shortly, I start to feel a slight burning sensation. DAMN!!!! I look down and my foot is almost covered with those little black ants (sugar ants I believe). Come to find out there were about three little tiny ant hills hidden just below the surface of the grass and I was standing my dumb ass right on them. So of course they displayed their displeasure with my presence by biting the crap out of my foot. Imagine that, the little buggers! I of course do a short little *"mother**cker" dance to shake them all off. Now I am not allergic to anything that I know of but some people are. Especially the young and the elderly can be highly susceptible to bites and stings in high quantity's. I escaped with very minor itching and burning that lasted for about an hour and a half and a reestablished respect for these little guys. Thank God it was not the big red fire ants, or the black and red army ants.

What will I do different?? Well I probably won't be wearing steel toed boots to do these inspections but I will damn sure be looking a lot closer at the surrounding area for these pesky little ants.

OK if it has not already started, let the laughter commence.  :-)

jrw159

*Mother**cker dance: Jumping around in an excited manner yelling "mother**cker"!!!!
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-07-2009 13:33
Hello John, consider the laughter to have commenced...... and commenced....... and commenced! Funny how the story of Goliath comes to mind. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-07-2009 16:13 Edited 07-07-2009 16:18
Indeed! :-) That swarm of little "David's" sure woke up "Goliath" in a hurry. LOL
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 07-07-2009 15:11
you dork you're in texas ants are native to the state they are everywhere red balck it dont matter they bite and it hurts you should of posted a video of your dance
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-07-2009 16:15
LOL, those were my thoughts exactly partner. It was truly one of those moments when you just shake your head and mumble to yourself, "dumb ass!" Oh if I had it on video, I would post it. :-) No such luck.

jrw159
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 07-07-2009 21:35
Good lord.  I do not stand on grass in sandals in TX if I can help it.  I used avoid even walking across grass in sandals in TX but the ants seem to have mellowed.  (They no longer give me blisters.)

Those little mothers will run across a sidewalk to come and bite you when you're minding your own business and not standing on their hill.

Hg
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-07-2009 23:32
You know, that is the sad thing. I know better. LOL This is not my first time in Texas and several other states (AZ, NM, CO, KS, UT, NV, ect.) that have ants as a major contributor to the environment.  Complacency got me bit. I hope while all are having a good laugh they are also thinking of me doing the "dance" when they are out in the field.

jrw159
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 07-08-2009 21:29
Could have been worse, though.  If you were standing right on top of a nest in "proper" boots and long pants, you might have had to strip after they got up your pants leg.  Now *that's* a funny dance!

Hg
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-09-2009 01:16
This is true! If I had been decked out they would have been all over me before I realized they were there.
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 07-20-2009 18:35
At least you don't have to deal with the mosquitoes up there in the metroplex.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-20-2009 20:02
Yeah, they are around, but all in all not as bad as many other places.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Watch were you stand