Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / 798 hands ,whats the deal?
- - By 52lincoln (***) Date 07-09-2009 04:33
on youtube there is a slick rig contests,whats the deal with all the millers?do ya'll use them more then the lincolns?i am considering a new welder and would like to know ur opinion on the millers?thanks
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 07-09-2009 14:46
bump
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 07-18-2009 18:57
I only get big Millers in my shop for maintenance.. if that says anything
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 07-18-2009 20:27
Lots here buy the smaller Millers for the price and generator auxillary power to use at job sites or on farm, ranch, dairy can even use it to power a smaller submersible water pump or your home when power is out.  I still don't understand why those little used Millers at a auction still bring almost as much as a new one if they still run when you know the engine is about gone.  Lincoln finally caught up with them on the smaller ones with same auxillary power.  You sure don't see any older big Millers at auctions bringing what old SA200 and other Lincolns still bring.  Railroad runs the big Miller with air compressor added but they are usually completely worn out when they get done with one.  Only Miller I ever liked welding with was their 250 wire welder in shop. 
Parent - - By downhandonly (***) Date 07-18-2009 21:32
tried a miller pipepro for a bit. gave me grief and traded it. did a 36" line last year with autos and the company was using the xmt 304, same electronics as the pipepro and seemed to work well for the most part. all the grief the pipepro gave me turned me off for sure. circuit board fried $1000. motor mounts shot @ 500 hours went across a road crossing before I found out the problem and the engine moved too far and the alternator hit the side of the chassis and loosened the fan belt causing it to get tangled in the fan. that was enough of miller and their portable (lack of) technology for me. seemed to have good luck with their electrics in shops though. also didnt like that little remote box with no handle and the cable out the back instead of top or bottom. just remembered how much fooling around it was to try and get the latches on the top of the machine to work when the melted snow pooled in them when it was running then froze up. basically that machine was a total headache right from 0 hours to when I got rid of it. lmfao ps. it welded good when I wasnt fixing it.just my 2 cents.
Parent - By ruero (**) Date 07-20-2009 01:12
52, on a job right now 24" .500 X-70 and the are running wire for the fill and cap with the pipe-pro304, they provide the firing line with the machine. I ran one for 3 days on the wire, they run pretty nice, have not used one for stick but my partner on tie-ins has one and it lays down a nice weld. Seems like a decent machine. I'm just glad i'm off the firing line it's probably at least 120 + in them frickin tents trying to keep the wind out and suckin in that smoke and Argon, it' a pain in the you know what.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / 798 hands ,whats the deal?