Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME PQR plate test for pipe qualification.
- - By Kix (****) Date 07-09-2009 21:06
Can you run a 1g plate PQR test and be qualified to run a 1g rotated > 2 7/8" dia production pipe?  I'm new to the ASME and NAVSEA game, so bare with me here. lol  I'l try not to ask to many questions. ;-)  No I don't have a ASME code book, but I do have NAVSEA.  Per NAVSEA Tech Pub 248, I see that you can do what I stated above for welder performance qualification, but procedure qaulification looks a bit confusing and or different so I'm think ASME is the same.  I say this because I just received a PQR per ASME from a mechanical contractor and they did a 1G plate test and have written in the min outside dia,  Groove welds, " All if rolled, 2 7/8" and over if fixed position", Fillet welds, "All if rolled, 1" and over if fixed position".  Is that right?

Thanks!
Kix
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 07-09-2009 22:19
Kix,
Position and diameter are not essential variables of procedure qualification for ASME IX unless you are getting into work requiring impact testing.
1G will qualify for all positions and plate will qualify for pipe.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-10-2009 20:21
ASME and NAVSEA TP278 are very different from each other. Don't try to mix apples and oranges unless you have a thorough understanding of each of the welding standards and have copies of each in front of you.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME PQR plate test for pipe qualification.