Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cutting marine bronze
- - By Dualie (***) Date 07-11-2009 04:22
A good customer of mine bought two rather large (15' and 18' diameter) Marine grade Aluminum bronze props for scrap.   Problem is their to large to get off the island in one piece.   

Considering their scrap and 4"+ at the easiest places to cut and reduce the over all transport width to under 12'   An old timer suggested a demo ball and a crane and bust 2 blades off of the prop's.   While that is the most attractive option im not sure its going to work.

What's everyone's best thoughts on cutting 4 feet off each side of them?    Remember they are SCRAP so it doesn't have to be pretty just cost effective and quickest.

Options are,

Two stoke powered Cut off saws

Vantage 500 and a carbon arc setup

I can rent a thermal lance setup
Parent - By Brian T. Beard (**) Date 07-11-2009 05:15
I would say to gouge it, but that depends if you like to do that type of work GOOD LUCK!!!
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 07-11-2009 05:22
before you cut them up you might want to find out if there is anyone who wants them as is, i had an aquaintance who found a broken bronze prop and sold it for 14000 dollars it was less than three feet in diameter.
again before you cut it up you might want to find out a little more about them and if they are of any interest to any one.
just my 2 cents
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 07-11-2009 05:51
I guess theirs something funky about these props that makes them very specialized.   I told him that there worth a small fourtune to the right person but he says that he just wants them cut up and hauled off.    Hes a pretty sharp operator for the most parts and has already sold off the stainless prop shafts.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 07-11-2009 09:28
I would use an Oxylance.All you need is a Compressor, Airhose, Rod Holder and Rods
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-12-2009 05:12
I don't know how You professionals do it, one of the guys on the blacksmithing forum used small diameter steel water pipe in the arc welder stinger and threaded an adapter for an oxygen hose on the end of the pipe. This was used to remove the key holding the die to the sow block on a forging hammer, burning out the key while not damaging the sow block or die. I don't recall how many amps or what oxygen flow He used.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cutting marine bronze