Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Neat document (Lincoln Electric history)
- - By Mat (***) Date 07-12-2009 03:58
Stumbled across this and thought I would share.  :)

A Century of Excellence, A Future of Innovation
Describes the history of arc welding and the legacy of John Lincoln, founder of Lincoln Electric.

http://www.weldinginfocenter.com/history/his_02.pdf
Parent - - By rfieldbuilds (**) Date 07-14-2009 02:49
Very cool history of Lincoln. They seem to be the genesis of pride in production that still rings true today. Iron workers and welders area one of a kind breed. A great amount of pride goes into their work. That's what makes inspecting welding soooo dificult. As an inspector, we are put in the position of judging a man's work. It is never a personal thing. We have to be fair and impartial and preserve the relation with the welder as well as his and our integrity while satisfying job specifications. Thats a TALL order.
My hard hats off to the men that do this day in day out.
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 07-15-2009 04:41 Edited 07-15-2009 04:48
I have a lot of respect for welding inspectors.  I've known a few that have worked as welders in the past.  I worked with this one guy who had crazy white hair and in his prime, worked as an underwater welder amung other things.  He'd done it all!  All of the welding inspectors I've worked around have been great people to work with or around.  Don't quote me, but welding inspectors make welders better welders!  :)

I like finding documents and texts regarding the history of welding.  Late at night, I tend to find myself looking for information and pictures of how things were, and how they are now.  For example, while I'm not an Ironworker, everyone has seen the picture of lunch on the "I" beam.  Call it a fascination, but it's like looking into another world.  There is a certain pride taken in any given trade when one looks back into the history and learning curve which eventually developed the techniques and skills that have led to the way things are done today.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Neat document (Lincoln Electric history)