Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding spring steel -- too brittle?
- - By torinblock Date 03-11-2002 03:55
Hi -- I have a Danish sofa from the 1960s that I'm trying to have professionally repaired and re-upholstered. The sofa has an intricate set of springs about 6' long.
The problem -- some of the springs are attached (wrapped I think) to a thin metal strut which runs along the front. This 'strut' has broken. My upholsterer took it to a welder who said that the 'strut' is made of "spring steel" and cannot be welded because it would be too brittle.

Does anyone have any experience with welding spring steel, or repairing in some other fashion?

Thanks for your help.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-11-2002 07:30
First of all if it broke in that one spot a fair guess is that the strut is fatigued in other spots also and may soon fail again. If you can replace the whole piece that would be best. If not then a mechanical repair would probably be easiest. If the cross section of the strut is round perhaps a piece of tubing over the break and crimped or glued to hold it in place. Try the manufacturer- if still in business perhaps you can get the whole spring assembly.

Best of luck with your restoration-

Bill
Parent - By Niekie3 (***) Date 03-12-2002 17:43
There is not really an easy answer to your question because there are so many different types of spring steel. From high Carbon (1%) to Cr-Mo steel with any in between.

The first question is obviously what the "strut" is made from. Are you sure it is a spring steel?

I would also agree with Bill that you must be sure that it is worth your while to actually attempt the repair. If you already have a lot of cracks just waiting to break, it would be better to just replace the strut.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding spring steel -- too brittle?