Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Article V-ASME IX (Standard Welding Procedure Specification)
- - By cong nguyen (**) Date 07-13-2009 07:00
Dear you all,

Our Sub-contractor just have submitted one Standard Welding Procedure Specifications (SWPS) to us for reviewing, the SWPS is intended to use for fabrication of ASME B31.3 Piping System.

When I reviewed it, I read ASME IX Article V, Para. QW-540 (a) mentioned that "The manufacturer or contractor may not deviate from the welding conditions specified on the SWPS", therefore I think that the Sub-contractor is not permitted to change any welding conditions as root gap, root face, amperage, voltage, travel speed, position, etc....

My opinion is right or wrong, could any body have experience about SWPS please guide me about above mentioned.

Thank and best regards,

N.T.C
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-13-2009 11:46
Parent - - By cong nguyen (**) Date 07-16-2009 07:13
Dear Mr Jon20013,

Thank you very much for the useful link. On this occasion, I would like to ask you that when I read in ASME IX, QW-452.1(b) has mentioned that if thickness of weld metal in the test coupon is 13 mm and over, then thickness of weld metal qualified is "Maximum to be welded", so could you please tell me the maximum to be welded mean that it is unlimited thickness or the range of qualified is equal to the thickness of the test coupon?

Thank you very much and looking forward to your support.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-16-2009 07:45
Cong, "maximum to be welded" means that the welder has no maximum thickness imposed except by that of the welding procedure to which he or she works.  It means basically the same as unlimited but in reality, the welder is bound by the maximum thickness of the WPS.
Parent - By cong nguyen (**) Date 07-21-2009 07:49
Thank you very much for your kind teaching Mr Jon.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Article V-ASME IX (Standard Welding Procedure Specification)