Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Planshing aluminum?
- - By Zeek (**) Date 07-13-2009 17:22
I have some 0.200" thick 6061 aluminum material that is going to be rolled and then long welded to make a 6ft long section of pipe (roughly 15" in diameter).  We're going to weld the butt joint via TIG.  We have a special jetline longitudinal seamer for this particular joint that will hold the material in place and have a backup bar underneath that has the same radius of curvature as the ID of the pipe.  Is it necessary to planish the weld afterwards?  
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-13-2009 17:53
Zeek..

What do you want to accomplish by the planishing?

If you are trying to restore roundness after the distortion of welding it may be ok. But with material almost a quarter inch thick I think the blows required to do the job would not be light.  It would take a pretty powerful planishing hammer or english wheel to do aluminum thicker than .125

If you are trying to cold work the heat affected zone by hammer blows to regain original properties, I'm unsure if that is viable or even advisable.
Parent - - By Zeek (**) Date 07-13-2009 19:27
Thanks Lawrence.  I'm concerned that the material will be out of round after welding and will effect fit-up during the circ welds.  I'm not sure how else to control the distortion.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-13-2009 21:50
You should see an increase in the ultimate tensile strength in the weld and HAZ. The 6061 will strain harden to a certain extent which will result in the UTS approaching the "as wrought" condition depending on the degree of cold work introduced.

You can measure the thickness of the aluminum in the area of the HAZ. Depending on the clamping system, you may see a swelling of the thickness by as much as a 1/16 inch. The planishing can reduce that to the original thickness. In doing so it may increase the diameter by a small amount.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Zeek (**) Date 07-13-2009 22:20
Thanks for the info.

So I take it that roll planishing in these situations with pipe is common?  Otherwise, I don't see how else you can control the diameter of the pipe.  
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-14-2009 03:29
Will You be adding filler metal when You weld this?
Parent - - By Zeek (**) Date 07-14-2009 17:09
Yes, we will be adding filler metal in this particular joint.

Also, just to point out, I'm not so concerned with the thickness of the resulting weld, as we can blend it down when we do the circ welds.  My only concern is keeping the distortion to a minimum.
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-15-2009 03:28
Zeek

Jetline has this type of information on file.  You may be able to call them and ask for technical engineering assistance.  I had one of my customers do this once, and they had the information on hand, and they sold the equipment for it.

Joe Kane
Parent - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 07-14-2009 21:20
On large steel fabricated  waterworks pipelines we don't  usually care how  round  they are because after hydrotest for  integrity

we  go into  the  "plastic"  or  yield  region .  We  generally  expand  1 1/2  "  on  a  120 "  diameter   pipe  -
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Planshing aluminum?