Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Electrician info needed PLEASE HELP!
- - By motorxer199 (*) Date 07-14-2009 01:08 Edited 07-14-2009 01:15
Ok so i have a 220 outlet in my shop for my tig welder. It has a black white and green outlet. Heres my question im adding a oven to the shop for powder coating small things how do i hook up the oven to what i got? and which wires go to what???. The oven has a 3 post 220v outlet on the back. Ive been told many different things and dont know exactly which is true. I need a competent person for this one. View picture for reference.

Thanks
Jack
Attachment: WEKD.jpg (0B)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-14-2009 03:08 Edited 07-14-2009 03:11
The green wire is chasis ground. In the welder outlet the white and black wires are the 230 volt feed, 230 volts between white and black wires, and 115 volts from white to ground or black to ground.

With regard to the oven, You really have 4 wires to contend with. They are red black, white and green. When hooked to a 3 wire plug, the white neutral wire is hooked to the green chasis ground wire. The red and black wire are the 230 volt feed, each one will have 115 volts to either the green or white wire. The unit uses 115 volts from the red or black to the white for control circutry.

If this sounds confusing, remember that the common white wire and the green ground wire are both hooked to the same place, the middle of the secondairy winding, out on the power transformer.

It would be a lot easier to understand if Your welder plug had a black, red and ground wire, but when You have 2 conductors and a ground they use black & white plus a ground. This wire can be used for 115 volt or 230 volt service.

Wire with 3 conductors plus ground has a red, black & white wire and can be properly used to feed 115 and 230 volts to the same or different appliances at the same time. In this case the white wire is common and bare or green is ground.

You should not generally use the chasis ground wire as a neutral for 115 volt loads, but it has been commom practice in the past on electric ranges and cloths dryers. Some places code now requires a 4 wire cord for these appliances.

Clear as mud?
Parent - - By motorxer199 (*) Date 07-14-2009 04:06
Clear as mud is correct. Correct me if im wrong so what your saying is to wire my black and white on the wall outlet to be used as my hot which will run my black and red on the oven and my green from outlet is going to the white on oven? And my other confustion is coming from my welder wall plug i have two 115v hot wires? and since im wiring to 230v for welding will this work for my 220 oven?

Thanks again, life saver!
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-14-2009 05:11
First, I must clarify that this information is for a 230 volt residential system, not a split from a 460 volt midpoint grounded system.

The black and white on the 230 volt wall outlet go to the black and red on the oven. The ground on the wall outlet goes to the white on the oven, and a green wire from the oven sheet metal housing should go to the white oven wire to ground it's housing.

The white wire is incorectly marked "neutral" on Your welder outlet if it is in fact 230 volts from a residential 230 volt system.

With a volt meter You should read 115 volts to ground or to neutral from either of the "hot" wires, or 230 volts between the "hot" wires on a 230 volt circut. If You don't have a volt meter, get one.

This holds true with the "Edison 3 wire system" that is commom in North America. If You are in some other place like Europe, all bets are off.
Parent - - By motorxer199 (*) Date 07-15-2009 00:32
i actually got it working thanks for the info on my voltmeter its reading 120volt on neutal and black 240 together that why i just want to double check.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-15-2009 03:01
Good to hear it is working.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Electrician info needed PLEASE HELP!