Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Safety Violations on July Inspection Trends Cover Photo
- - By thirdeye (***) Date 07-16-2009 00:09
I guess all of us are guilty of breaking a safety rule now and then, I know I sure am.... So I was curious...Did anyone else take a good look at the cover of Inspection Trends this month?  What are your observations? 

A couple of things are obvious, the extra credit one is kind of obscure and may be more of a company policy. 

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 07-16-2009 01:03
Why tie off if thats what you got to tie off to, Wish I could work in sandals too!
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 07-16-2009 01:25 Edited 07-16-2009 12:09
Wow, that was fast.....I thought the clogs or sandals might be the hard one to spot, I guess not for the sharp eyes around here.

Yep, the tie off is not a connection point by any means.  What is that 3/4" strap?   Plus we can't loop back to the lanyard, but have to clip to a cable sling or use a connector strap with a D-ring.  I guess the inspector training should include a little safety training too.

On the lighter side, I know first hand how these things happen.  I take about 30 (welding, inspection or fabrication related) jobsite photo's each day and when editing them I have to look for things in the background that would prevent the photo from going into a report.  Things like a painter cleaning his equipment with MEK while smoking a cigarette, or a shop foreman standing on the top rung of a 10' ladder, are not things the customer likes to see.

~thirdeye~
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 07-16-2009 15:05
I like the student that is using a AWS wedge on some gas pipe, I hope those threads are good. 

Not to mention that the contact surface is probably really great.  This is the same situation on our local community college's cover page introducing their NDE program, which has a guy who knows better not to use a AWS wedge on some pipe that will not have enough contact surface to accurately see anything.

Silly people.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-16-2009 15:28
I'm not crazy about having to use those heavy transducer cables like the one he has....especially in the winter when that cable gets stiff and not so pliable....can't let go of the transducer or it hits the floor or moves off your peaked up indication. I use the thinner cable, it's just easier to work with, IMHO.

I expect some of these pics are staged...

you know how it goes..."hey so and so, jump up there and act like you're inspecting that piece."

...and so the pic may get snapped rather quickly and not alot of thought put into the actual posing and such.
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 07-20-2009 12:15
Yeah, but come on if your trying to get your name out there than you should at least show some kind of real mock up.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Safety Violations on July Inspection Trends Cover Photo