Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ASME Vs. AWS Please Help
- - By eekpod (****) Date 07-17-2009 10:43
Gentlemen, I need some insight on the differences between ASME WPS's and certifications for welders vs AWS.

We are currently bidding a stainless steel project that calls for "all welding on stainless steel structural members to be in accordance with ASME B31.1".  Also "stainless steel destructive tests of specimens for procedures and welder qualifications shall be in accordance with ASME Section IX articles II and III, whichever is applicable".

10-12 years ago, I was the assistant RT hand and a lot of our RT was to pipe using ASME, but as the assistant I never got into the actual code myself.

I have all my AWS WPs's and welders certs to D1.6 S/S and I have the code on the shelf.

I do not have a copy of ASME codes, and its $950 to buy them, that a lot of money to spend to bid a job.

Can I write the WPS's myself if I buy the codes and do I need to pay for a third party QC person to witness??

Do I have to get "ASME" approved/ certified like AISC? I don't think so, I think it's more like AWS that if I stay within the code I'm good.

Please, any other information you could provide would be very helpful,
Thanks  Chris
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-17-2009 11:45 Edited 07-17-2009 12:33
Chris; As I'm sure you know, the two Codes have different applications.  In very general terms, ASME is easier in many ways than AWS.  To qualify a WPS for ASME in general you will need 2 tensile tests and likely 2 root and two face bends.  ASME B31.1 nor ASME IX would accept AWS D1.6 as an alternate so I'm afraid you have 2 choices:

1.  You may write the WPS' yourself and have them tested (or test them yourself if your shop has capabilities for tensile and bends).  Unless specifically stated in your quote specifications, you do not need a third party to witness.
2.  Look at AWS B2.1 Standard WPS (SWPS) to see if you can find a match for material type, thickness and process.  If you find a good match, you can simply buy the SWPS, qualify one welder using the exact parameters shown and it is accepted by ASME.  EDIT: You can find a complete listing of SWPS on the AWS Website under publications.

Since your using stainless steel, it's unlikely you will have to do charpy impacts but you should check your specification to see if required.

Be very, very careful though if any kind of "ASME Authorization" or Code Stamping is required because that would mean your company would require an ASME Survey (also known as an audit) to show your Quality Program, including demonstrations.  I would "guess" this may not be the case though since you mention only structural members.

As for the destructive tests, I've already mentioned above what you need for procedures (ASME IX, Article II).  For welders, (ASME IX, Article III) you simply need either 2 or 4 bend tests, depending on position qualified.  Play it safe and do 4 and you should be okay.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 07-17-2009 14:58
Thank you for your reply,

I looked at B2.1 but the problem is that it is for 10-18 gauge material, and I will be working with W-shapes thicker than that.
It is good to hear that if we get awarded this project, that I can certify the welders myself.  I went back through the specification to look for any requirements for AMSE Authorization or similar and I couldn't find anything, so that should not be a problem, but thanks for the heads up on that, that could be a big situation if it was missed.  That must be where facilites get their "R" stamp for repairs of pressure vessels and such, we had that where I used to assist in RT.
I spoke with a local engineer who has a copy of the codes and he thinks its a mistake on their part that the structural stainless steel is being callled out to meet ASME B31.1.  He thinks, and I would agree it should be AWS D1.6, but again, not having ASME to referance I coudnlt make that determination.

I;m sure something else will come up, but thanks again for the jump start on this issue.
Chris
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 07-17-2009 23:25
eekpod,
Strongly recommend you query the classification of stainless steel structural to B31.1.
B31.1 is for Power Piping.
100.1.1 "This code prescribes requirements for the design, materials, fabrication, erection, test and inspection of piping systems."

100.1.3 "This code does not apply to the following:
(e) towers, building frames, tanks, mechanical equipment, instruments and foundations."

Stainless structural may be fabricated to B31.1 (pipe supports etc) but I think you should still clarify the issue. No point wasting loads of time if an inexperienced engineer has just nominated the wrong code.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-18-2009 01:10
Well said Shane and I agree.  I've run into this same situation many times over the years and it is often just a case of the designer being unaware of a better suited code.  For Chris' work, AWS D1.6 would definately be better suited, in my opinion.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 07-20-2009 10:17
That's what I discussed with the estimator, to see if he could exclude the ASME referance for the stainless structural and replace it with AWS D1.6.
The bid was due on Friday, and I haven't seen the estimator to ask him what he ended up doing.
Thanks guys,
Chris
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ASME Vs. AWS Please Help