Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / dr martens work boots
- - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 07-18-2009 19:55
hey yall i was wondering about these boots as far as comfort and sizing. how do they fell when you wear them for a full day at work? do your feet kill you when you get off ? do they run smaaler or bigger thaan your regular size.
Parent - By tompit9 (***) Date 07-18-2009 20:43
i've heard they are great boots and size up good also
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 07-18-2009 21:06 Edited 07-18-2009 21:11
Size and fit were good on the ones I had.  But check the placement of the stitches that hold the sole to the shoe.  Mine lasted for 6 months because they would catch sparks and burn.  They looked good and felt good but wasen't for sh*t to weld in.

I attached a picture.  The ones I had were brown though.  Look at the stitching as I had mentioned.  Now that I inspect I might get another pair, but not to weld in.
Attachment: boots.bmp (117k)
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 07-19-2009 03:39
what size do you wear in tennis shoes and boots it seems to me my tennis shoes are always bigger than my boots dont make any sense but it's true i need a size 15 in boots now evedently my foot grew when i was getting heeld up
Parent - - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 07-19-2009 20:39
they are great boots shad. i love them. the pull ons. They fit great around the ankle, and once a days worht of work go by. i think they fill great.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 07-20-2009 03:24
Thanks for everyones help ill look for some when i get to kansas tomorrow
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 07-19-2009 01:38 Edited 07-19-2009 04:41
http://www.steel-toe-shoes.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=STEELTOESHOES&Category_Code=104&Offset=
I got the laceless carolina work boots (top row right), when welding you dont get sparks on your foot, the were comfortable from day 1 and they are over a year old and look like they could go for another 2 or 3 years, and with my belly starting to bulge, I dont need to bend over to tie them :)
Parent - - By Brian T. Beard (**) Date 07-29-2009 07:33
ctacker thanks for the website. i was needing a new pair of met. gaurd boots. Up here White's and Nick's are about it and I hate payin' $400.00 + for a pair of boots
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 07-30-2009 01:30
no problem, I was hesitant about buying online but after ordering them i was Pleased with what I got!
Parent - By burleigh26 (**) Date 07-19-2009 02:46
I've worn many different brands and right now im wearing the dr martins.  i love them, they are comfortable and the added ackle protection is great when your on unlevel terran.  they are a little heavier than others that i have worn.
Parent - - By JohnJohn (**) Date 07-20-2009 02:04
IMHO Thorogoods are the best work boots..ever! They are about the same quality as Red Wings at half the price. I bought two pair for $250 and they lasted me over a year. They have a round toe or a mocc toe(like the Red Wing 877). I prefer the round so the stitches don't burn out. You can look them up at www.ironworkergear.com or do a search for them. They break in in about two days or even less if you soak them in Neatsfoot oil. My back rarely hurts and I sleep like a baby(of course the Newcastle Brown Ale helps too!). Most places will ship them to your door for $120 or less. Try em out, I bet you'll like em!

JohnJohn

PS They are Union made in The USA.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 07-20-2009 03:27
I tried see wings and wanted to trash em after a week but thanks for your help
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 07-20-2009 21:03
Shad,
If you see a redwing outlet stop and have them measure your foot. I got a pair of packer steel toes. they are not like the academy version you see on the shelf. Much better arch support for those long days standing.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 07-21-2009 02:20
last tiem i went there cause me feet were killing me and they measured my foot and little did i know i was wearing the wrong size boot since i was 13 lmao and well now my right foot kills me with these dang justins so i guess my foot grew again so gotta get measured again
Parent - - By spots (**) Date 07-20-2009 18:39
Dr. Martins were awesome work boots about eight years ago when they were made in England. Now they are made in China from an inferior grade of leather that does not last long. They are not worth the price premium any more. Also the soles will kill you on snow or ice, very slick.

I wear Hytest Footrests, here is a link for some with metatarsal guards to keep you from burning your laces they also have wellingtons:

http://www.michiganshoe.com/browse.cfm/4,90.html  <---I ordered my last pair from Michigan Shoe, best price online and quick shipping.

They are assembled in the USA by a division of Wolverine and last 2 years+. The leather is thick and high quality and yet they have a short break in time. The upper is stitched to the sole unlike cheap a$$ brands. A little mink oil every now and then and water is not an issue. They have wide widths (A to EEE) and great arch support. The steel inserts are wide enough to prevent calluses on your toes.

No I am not being paid to advertise for them.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 07-21-2009 02:27
i stopped in at bills this am to get some gauges worked on and talked with kaye as she was reading her aws posts and she found this of mine and told me the doc martens were junk so they are out maybe ill just cut the ends of my toes off and call it good lol. she told me the tony llama crape sole boosts were good but i cant find any
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 07-21-2009 03:14
Are you going to be running red iron. If you see a sportsmans warehouse try on a pair of danners. They are damn comfy for climbing all over everything.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 07-21-2009 03:15
galvanized
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 07-21-2009 09:07
OOOHHH Galvanized...yuck! Drink plenty of "Cow Juice".

Don't wanna be guilty of hi-jacking a thread. So...by pass the clones and go for Wolverines (for comfort). Danners are my second choice for their durability. I'd just rather go for comfort and have my feet smiling at the end of the day. Got a pair of Danners' that are over 10 years old, so yeah, they'll last me for ever... I've only worn the blister popping #$@%'s maybe once a year...extreme  emergency back-up only.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 07-21-2009 15:25
i just hope i can find a big foot store some where up here the closest walmart is 45 mins. away guess i got spoiled back home wal mart was a 15 min drive into town lol
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 07-21-2009 15:55
I've had good luck ordering Wolverines and Justins at a good price from
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/

Any other brand hurts my feet.

Tim
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 07-21-2009 16:32 Edited 07-21-2009 16:40
Oakley, Kansas has a huge boot store. I can't order on line, in fact, my sunday goin to church Tony Llama's are 2 pair.  Left foot 9 1/2 E, right 10 D! Cost me over $500. The good news is, l'll always have a brand new pair of boots.

Enjoy Kansas. I've done a couple of projects there and had a kick-azz time. Hope you're not in one of them "Dry Counties"! Say Hi to Dorothy for me, and give that annoying little yapper Toto the boot!
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 07-22-2009 01:59
thanks for the info but if i dont get a call soon i'm goin back home i guess then i'll have a machine for sale to pay off the loan i got to come up here and the bank will have the truck and the phones will be cut off. damn it
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-22-2009 02:21
I would be handing out a south TX asswhoopin with alot of redwing rash before the drive home. I hope it works out for you partner. And when you do head back this way, you know you have a place to take a break.

Best of luck,

jrw159
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 07-22-2009 02:41
i think ill just stay away from home the bank wants the truck and cant go home a failure guess i could call the wifes cousin and see if i cant get a helpers slot that sucks but at least its a job
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-22-2009 03:40
It will all work out in the wash. And yeah, if it comes down to working or not, helping is better than sitting. :-) I have sure done worse duty. LOL
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 07-23-2009 18:48
well i figured out what was wrong with my right boot i'm currently wear the justin lace up work boot anyway i got bored the other night and thought that boot sure is tight and it didnt use to be so i pulled out the insole and saw wrinkles at the end of it by the toe area so thought there might be sumthin up there and dug in and nothing tried puttin the darn thing back in several times and it kept wrinkeling so i left it out and put my boots on and what do ya know instant relief my feet still get sore but nothing i cant handle at least i dont get the bone crushing pain on my toes thank goodness cause it was gonna be a few weeks before i could get another pair and the pain was just unbearable. thanks for all your input and i will be trying out the boots that were suggested justins just dont cut in my opinion the soles are just to hard
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 07-23-2009 21:44
I use to get those Justin work boots wellingtons or lace ups but the soles will burn when you step on HOT metal lol.  Won't get anymore of those unless look real hard and sometimes can find their wellington work boots with a rounder toe I can wear those but they don't have them in stock.  Danner use to be real good but last pair of those I got in insulated side zip lace up EMS leather said made in china grrrrrrr!  Georgia or Thorogood maybe like others said what I'm trying next time.  Call that Sheplers about Tony Lama they got one in Wichita up there.  Geeze you were closer to Tony Lama headquarters when back home lol. 

http://www.sheplers.com/mens/boots/

Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / dr martens work boots