Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Certifications for Welding Teachers
- - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-20-2009 12:34
Are there any suggestions for certifications for welding instructors that are commonly looked for. CWE is one I can get once I come off the $$ but I may be able to get more "Bang for the Buck" with the NCCER or NOCTI testing but really don't know. Also any thoughts on training courses or books I should read to become a better instructor.

I have enjoyed my part time teaching job more than anything else I have done. To watch a person get in tune with that puddle of metal is great!

I want to do everything I can to stay in this position. Should the community college decide I am not what they need or the funding stop, I would like to be as prepared as possible to continue. My preference is to teach in a HS situation but without a degree that may not ever happen. Currently I only teach 16 hours a week at night so fill in the day with contract work. My dream is to start a training/ATF here in Northeast Mississippi but have to sneak up on that one.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Gerald
www.weldingdata.com
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-20-2009 13:20
Gerald

It's pretty much a regional/local determination.

For instance most South Carolina Colleges require NCCR and most North Carolina colleges prefer a CWI...

Some systems are flexable and really don't care one way or another..  They may accept one and then ask you to obtain the other (with their support).

I would say that overall the AWS CWI/CWE is the preferred paper by more institutions..  But with the regional aspect that really may not matter much  :)
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-21-2009 06:00
Hello Gerald, I'm going to take a slighly different tack from the ones that you have inquired about. In my particular part of the country they certainly will recognize and appreciate the various items that you have mentioned and those that Lawrence referred to. In addition to those, many Vo/Tecs and community colleges with vocational programs will offer classes within their own institutions to enhance and broaden the abilities of their vocational faculty with regard to classroom management skills, use of available classroom technology(computers, smart boards, A/V projection systems, etc.), grant writing, and other non-skill specific types of enhancement(not related to welding or whatever particular craft that is being taught) for their instructors. There are also many online opportunities for expanding your teaching skills base, many times an institution will foot the bill for those too. At my particular school I can take any class that is offered for a nominal fixed fee, some of these classes can be applied towards maintaining my vocational certification and also act to further my position on the salary scale. There may be an opportunity for you to take classes that can allow you to attain a bachelors degree and thus possibly qualify you to indeed pursue your goal to teach in a high school program. Inquire with your dean/boss to determine what sorts of options that you have as an adjunct at your current school. Many times there are options open to you that won't be readily offered up and it takes incentive and questioning on your part to be able to capitalize on them. There is probably a faculty handbook that has been distributed to you upon your hiring, look through it to see what sorts of things are offered. If you don't have one, inquire about getting one and start reading. You may have also been appointed a mentor to help you to become acclimated to the workings of your school, talk with him/her and ask questions about some of the topics that I have mentioned. Since I am only familiar with the system that I teach in I can't say for sure that the items that I have mentioned above apply to your situation, yet, they may and others might as well. I'll try to think of some other items and post them up as I remember them. Good luck, but you've really got much more to offer already than many of the folks who are teaching as you are. Your institution is very fortunate to have you even if they don't fully realize it. Best regards, Allan  
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-24-2009 15:42
My personal preference is the NOCTI examinations.

I prefer NOCTI over the AWS CWE any day of the week. I find it interesting that you only need to pass the CWI examinations as a CAWI and pass "a" welder's hands-on performance test to qualify for the AWS CWE program. NOCTI requires a more "rounded" capabilities for the hands-on welding as well as the more difficult written examination.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 11-19-2009 13:11
Hey Allan,

This thread is old but I was reading through it and remembered something I was going to bring up.

In reference to " There is probably a faculty handbook that has been distributed to you upon your hiring..." I'm not allowed any benifits of an employee. My class is limited to less  than 20 hours per week to prevent me from receiving any benifits. I'm not complaining as I would probably teach for about half of what I am getting paid if my family could still make it.

Our lab (a trailer) was setup not long after there was an article in a local paper regarding a 300 welder shortage. At that time it was pure speculation and still is. I'm thankful it is here. But I think it was setup with very litttle consultation with people that have experience in the welding industry but I may be wrong. It was thought to provide the welder hungry local companies with entry level employees. 3 of the 4 companies in the area have specifically told students who have completed the course, they wanted people with more experience and that they probably didn't have the skills needed. Its FCAW. How much skill is needed !

Even paying for CWE was out of the question as the only way I could get funded was to have someone from AWS sign a course completion and school would be reimbursed similar to the way my students are. The daytime instructor who is an employee, would be allowed to be reimbursed patrtially for taking a class to become a CWE which makes my brain hurt as I have met the requirements, need no class, and am ready now. I will pay for it myself when I renew my CWI this Jan. Lets not let the cash cow miss a meal!

Education seems to be more about making money then teaching people. Its a business
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-19-2009 15:29
Gerald,

I feel your pain on several of the items you mention...  A good and generous Dean can help adjunct teachers too.. He/She has a budget for such things as professional enhancement...  Just remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

As far as employers requiring more experience of entry welders...  The best sucsess I've had is to target individual players who have said these things and get them on my advisory committee....  Bring them into the lab and visit their facility..  It's a way to remind them that a welder taught correctly the first time is far more valuable than a guy with 5 years of experience gaining bad habbits.

The carrot of the advisory committee is powerful..  The industry players can be offered direct input into the curriculum.. Ask them flat out.. "What kind of proficancies do you want to see from somebody knocking on your door" and "give me a copy of your shop test"...  Once they see that your willing to teach your students exactly what *they* want to see (which you prolly do anyhow already)  they become much more willing...  They have a feeling of control.
Parent - - By JM_VRCIC (*) Date 07-24-2009 15:48
Hi, I have some databases you have done, they are excellent!!!
One question, in the ASME Database, how did you do to get that function in which you open PQR Form choose one or two and the it automatically add them to the PQR FOrm you are completing? I'm using yours to learn about ACCESS, because I'm pretty dumb with it and trying to create a welding traceability database, like the one in the web page, can't remember now. Anyway, if you can help me with ACCESS that would be awesome.

Bye!
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-24-2009 16:59
Glad you like the database. Its great to be able to merge two hobbies together and do something someone likes. As far as that feature I'd have to look back. Recordsets can be updated in many ways. Update queries, Assigning variables values based upon recordset, dlookup() function etc.

I recently made a weld tracking database for a company and will try to get a copy (MDE) that may give you an idea or two. Remeber relationships are the key, if that part is not correct, future changes can be a mess.
Parent - - By Andy Sims Date 11-19-2009 04:04
Gerald,

If you haven't already checked on what it takes to teach in a High School in Mississippi, give me a call at 601-359-3479.  If I'm not in, please leave a message.

Regards,

Andy Sims
Program Supervisor
Mississippi Department of Education
Office of Vocational Education and Workforce Development
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 11-19-2009 04:30
In July of 2008 the document I saw showed a requirement for an associates degree. I had spoken to a local school here a few times and was told there were no exceptions after July 2008. I will try to give you a call tomorrow.

Here is what I found for Welding I or II

Minimum Requirements for this Endorsement:
1. Education
Hold a two-year college degree (associate degree) or higher from an accredited institution of higher education.

I would REALLY like to teach HS students. I think its because thats where I got started. But getting an associates degree just doesn't fit for me right now. I had mentioned to the principal NCCER or NOCTI testing and was told that all that was allowed was the associates degree. He had no idea what a CWI or CWE was, or at least appeared to not.
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 11-19-2009 13:27
Here in Pennsylvania for secondary instructors, it mandated to take and pass the NOCTI test, as well as the Vocational II permanent certification. These requirements are set forth by the PDE. The AWS CWE has no influence on vocational education.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 11-19-2009 13:36
I mentioned NOCTI to the principal here and seemed to indicate that wouldn't help. The position is now closed so it may not be an issue. I would justt rather teach HS students.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Certifications for Welding Teachers