Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Now what....?
- - By walkthecup Date 07-22-2009 21:28
My question to the sage and experienced, now that I have my CWI, (also 30+ years welding and fitting) now what? I'm planing on finishing a BSME this fall, 11 hrs left, and figured the certification couldn't hurt. I would like to be able to put it to some use though, the CWI that is, on some contract stuff on the side if possible. I'd like to hear some solid experience driven advice if there's any to be had. thanks ahead of time.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-22-2009 23:35
WELCOME to the forum walkthecup.

Well, to put it very mildly, you have but just begun.  There are so many options.  There are also so many things yet to be done on your part.  Figuring out what areas you really want to concentrate on.  Most of the time you would want to inspect within areas you are already very familiar with.  Structural, piping, power plants, railroad, bridges, etc.

Also would be important to decide how you are going to continue it's usage after you get the BSME.  Primary or secondary.  Most of the time you will invest a lot of time to get leads, make repeat contacts, figure out what will be needed for paperwork such as daily report forms, completed member report forms, the inspection tools required specifically for your chosen area, additional code materials beyond AWS code books, gather all the PPE that you will need for yourself as you are your own employer, and the list can go on and on.

I would probably suggest finding an existing company that could use additional help to man a job.  Especially if this is to be coupled with finishing an education.  You need the money income mixed with adding some experience while having time to complete an education.  Hard to do on your own.  Then you can see what kind of other tools, code books, PPE, etc that will be required personal possessions to be on your own.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-24-2009 15:32
Good advice.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Now what....?